What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data plate

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Spruce want 45 dollars for an engraved data plate. Is this the norm or is there a less expensive way. You can by the unengraved data plate, but can any engraving shop engrave a stainless steel plate. Also, they have several types. Some that include empty and max weight, your (builder) address, HP ratings, etc. What information does the FAA require on the data plate for an experimental aircraft.

Last edited:
Spruce want 45 dollars for an engraved data plate. Is this the norm or is there a less expensive way. You can by the unengraved data plate, but can any engraving shop engrave a stainless steel plate. Also, they have several types. Some that include empty and max weight, your (builder) address, HP ratings, etc. What information does the FAA require on the data plate for an experimental aircraft.

Only required information on data plate is Make (builder), Model (your choice), and Serial Number (again your choice). ALL data must be exactly as shown on the aircraft registration.

Anyone who does engraving should be able to engrave SS. I've found trophy shops to be very reasonable.

Buy EAA's "registration package" or whatever they call it. Lots of useful forms, and they throw in a blank registration plate.

I bought the EAA registration package for my latest project which included a nice "EAA" silkscreened data plate. However, my local trophy shop was having trouble getting my long builder name and model designation in the small text fields on the plate. I had them flip the data plate over and engrave the blank back side with the minimum required data. I painted a black border on the plate to make it look a bit more "official".

My DAR was happy with the result.

assembly-5.jpg

As has been stated, the data on the plate must be identical to the data on the registration form.

Last edited:
Another revived thread.
I understand the required info. My plan is just the required and exactly matching the registration, per Mel's post.
However, I know nothing about engraving and have a question.

Q1. Can I have it powder coated before engraving?

Another revived thread.
I understand the required info. My plan is just the required and exactly matching the registration, per Mel's post.
However, I know nothing about engraving and have a question.
Q1. Can I have it powder coated before engraving?

No requirements on powder coating. It must be fire proof, permanently attached to the airframe, readable to a person on the ground.

Back