What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DAR question

wirejock

Well Known Member
I'm sure any who have been through the DAR inspection will know the answer.
I am working aft/forward. Next is installing the flap motor. Getting closer every day. Anyway. My floors are screw fastened. They can be removed for the DAR, but it's easier to leave out any panels they want open. That said, I would prefer to install the baggage floors and seat pans since the flap motor screws down over them in a couple holes.
I know the tunnel and baggage bulkhead need to be open.
What say you?
Can I install the baggage and seat floors?
Can I install the baggage side panels?

Depends. Some DAR's want to see it in a flying condition, some want it naked for full inspection - ask your DAR of choice how they want to see it.

I asked Mel Asberry to do my inspection, because he's known for doing a very good physical inspection of the airplane. I had mine pretty much as naked as I could get it to assist that inspection.

Inspections

2 DAR's and one FSDO (3 inspections, FL, 2 in OH) did the inspections. They only requested access panels open and cowling removed.

Inspection

Depends. Some DAR's want to see it in a flying condition, some want it naked for full inspection - ask your DAR of choice how they want to see it.

I asked Mel Asberry to do my inspection, because he's known for doing a very good physical inspection of the airplane. I had mine pretty much as naked as I could get it to assist that inspection.

Good point. I wonder how far Mel is willing to go?
Gotta do some internet searching.

Inspection

This is the best answer because not all DAR’s have the same expectation.

For my inspections, I request access to all systems for visual inspection.

Thanks. I will start searching for a DAR and ask the questions.
Seems prudent to just leave the panels loose. They're all wrapped in packing paper. I just repainted them and don't relish doing it again. They got pretty scuffed from all the work inside.

I just went thru this Larry and used the local FSDO. Might want to consider it and give them a call since you don’t have a DAR lined up already. No charge and they came out twice. Once the airplane was completely opened up and the second time ready for flight. Whoever you use, if it’s not opened up you will miss the benefit of a qualified second set of eyes. Good luck and congrats.

Larry,

On my last build, the DAR wanted structures complete and inspection panels off. He didn't spend much time looking at the details of the structure. Most of the time was devoted to control cable travel, flight controls, engine installation, fuel system operation, and placards, plus the various forms that the FAA wants to see.

If you'd like, PM me. I'll be happy to share contact info of the DAR that I used on that build. Because he's frequently at the Longmont airport,he's already dropped by a time or two to kick the tires on my RV9 project.

Cheers, Ken

DAR

Larry,

On my last build, the DAR wanted structures complete and inspection panels off. He didn't spend much time looking at the details of the structure. Most of the time was devoted to control cable travel, flight controls, engine installation, fuel system operation, and placards, plus the various forms that the FAA wants to see.

If you'd like, PM me. I'll be happy to share contact info of the DAR that I used on that build. Because he's frequently at the Longmont airport,he's already dropped by a time or two to kick the tires on my RV9 project.

Cheers, Ken

Yes, please PM contact info.

My DAR basically said “You’re my last appointment today so open anything that can be opened—I’m going to look at everything!” Probably entirely depends on the individual DAR and his schedule that day.

My DAR basically said “You’re my last appointment today so open anything that can be opened—I’m going to look at everything!” Probably entirely depends on the individual DAR and his schedule that day.

That sounds familiar. Did you get your free tube of torque seal and lots of good stories to explain the reason behind each thing he looked at?

Another reason to open up conversations early with the DAR is they can help with paperwork questions and check some things via emailed pictures first. For example, pictures of data plate, tail number font type/size, etc. It sure was nice having a phone number I could pop off questions to as it got close. He was super helpful in getting questions answered. He was also good about calling his FSDO supervisor if he didn't know. Ever tried to call a FSDO by yourself? haha Not always the easiest.

Back