What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Damaged RV-12 skin?

Gagarin737

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Just received my empenage kit. The crate was damaged on two sides. The longside was cracked and pushed inward 1,5 inch (see second picture). It looks like that due too the crack the F1279 skins came under pressure. I can feel and see (reflections of the ceiling lights) that there is a very small (curved) bend in the middle of the fuselage skins, lengthwise, and more pronounched in the aft part.
(When I look at the tailcone pictures of Jim Cone it lookes like I can see the same sort reflections).
My question is;
-Can the small bent be caused by the production process or is it for sure caused by the shipping damage? (shipping was insured, so thats not the problem. But before I'm ordering new skins I like to know for sure that it's not standard).
Can you tailcone builders please check the F1279 skins (upper skins) between the F1209 and F1210 fuselage frames.

Thanks for the help!

F1279R.jpg

F1279Rs.jpg

top skin F1279

I just went out to the hangar and ckecked both my F1279 skins and there are no dents, creases, or scratches. They are smoothly curved and tapered from front to back. Yours sounds like shipping damage.
You should file a claim against the shipper and you only have so much time to do it. It's been a while for me, (I used to be a warehouse mgr), and I forget the time limit.
You should always photograph the crates if you see any obvious damage to them. Then open the crate and inspect the contents, and of course photograph the items inside, and all damage. You do this BEFORE SIGNING FOR THE SHIPMENT. After your inspection, you then sign for the shipment and notate on the bill of lading, or whatever shipping document, that you received a damaged shipment, sign, date and keep a copy. Give the driver a copy of the photo if you can/want to.
Then, immediately file a claim for the damages with the frieght company.
If you get "hidden damage," which is damage you can't suspect from the outside of the crate, take pictures and file a claim as soon as you discover the damage. Remember you only have so much time, so open all crates upon reciept and inspect.

I hope this helps..

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I all mentioned it on the bill of lading and I did sent all pictures to Schenken. Last saturday there was a meeting of "VAF LowLands Wing" (my workshop is 30ft below sealevel) and a lot of shipments arrives damaged.
According Barb the skins can be sent with the wing/fuselage crates. I quess I go for that option. Nice start ;-), hopes that BaxGlobal/Schenken does a better job with the next shipment.

Same driver ? :D
I was lucky that he pierced the crate on that side. Only a bent flange of a fuselage frame.

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

Back