What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Damaged Fuel Senders

Cadstat

Well Known Member
I bought an 1998 RV-6A but the tank sensors were coated or damaged by the tank sealer during construction. They were never repaired in the 700 hours of flight time. I've been told I can replace the sensors without removing the tanks by removing the wing root fairing and with patience removing and replace them from underneath. Can anybody verify this approach?

Should be that simple...

Patience is the key :rolleyes: Once you get the screws loose, the job is easy.

A couple of thoughts...

When replacing the senders use allen head screws. Much easier to get tight and easier if you need to pull the senders again.
Mike
I hear this a lot. My philips heads came out very easily and tightened up just the same. The key is using the right tool. I agree, the allen heads are probably better, but not necessary in my experience.

If you are to apply the service bulletin for the fuel pickup, the tanks need to come off anyways.
http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb06-2-23.pdf
Not as big of a job as it sounds. I just did this on my not-yet-flying aircraft. Thought about adding these as well:
http://www.aircraftextras.com/FuelSensor1.htm

Before you commit to this, do a quick search on this topic. There is a wide variety of opinion on this particular SB.

You might consider taking the tanks off

Since you didn't build the plane and have never seen the inside of the tank it might not be a bad idea to remove a tank to give easy access and visibility into the tank while you do the work. I don't remember the details any more but there is some reconfiguration of the float arm to achieve proper operation in the tank. In other words it is not something that I would want to do blindly with no knowledge of what's inside. It is possible that the senders in you airplane are not configured properly and that is why they are not working rather than being sealed in place by sealant. Obviously the builder never went through the gauge calibration procedure. The access plates on the tanks are prone to leaking and trying to reseal them through the wing root to fuselage gap makes the job more difficult.

Is the plumbing done in such a way that it is difficult to remove the tanks? They are not all done the same way. If not I would recommend removing at least one tank and see how the job goes then decide on the approach for the second one. If the sealant was supplied so lavishly that the senders are encased in it you may have an extremely difficult time getting the access plate mounting screws out and getting the access plates detached from the tank rib.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Tanks take about 1/2 hour each to remove or install. Not a big deal, and the time spent removing the tanks will be paid back by the ease in removing the old senders, inspecting the interior of the tanks, and installing/sealing the new senders.

Tanks take about 1/2 hour each to remove or install. Not a big deal, and the time spent removing the tanks will be paid back by the ease in removing the old senders, inspecting the interior of the tanks, and installing/sealing the new senders.

The tanks only remove easily if they were painted separately. If they were painted while attached, not so much.. ;-)

Back