What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting Plexiglas

llarkin

I am getting ready to trim the plexiglass on my Duckworks landing lights. What am I supposed to use to cut it? A Dremel cutoff wheel, Air grinder cutoff wheel, bandsaw?????

Thanks, Larry :confused:

I used my bandsaw to make the rough cut to within 1/8" of where I wanted it. Then the scotchbright wheel to smooth and shape. Worked great, just don't rest the lense on the table if you don't have anything laid down to protect it.

You should use the plexiglass cutoff wheels that you get for the canopy. Since you don't have a signature we have no idea where you are in the project. If you don't have your finish kit yet you can get the cut-off wheel from Van's.

Hope that helps,
Jamie

Like Chad, I used the bandsaw for the rough cut then a 4" table mounted sander to shape the rest. Finished off with some fine sandpaper.

I highly recommend warming before any cutting / drilling - at least 70F +. I put the lens over the top of an incandescent shop light bulb for a few minutes before cutting and then left that light down inside the LE to keep things warm while working.

Thomas

I used a pneumatic die grinder with a cutoff wheel. It cut like the proverbial hot knife through butter, and was easy to control. I was able to get so close to the finished size that it only took a few strokes with a hand file and some wet-or-dry paper to clean the edge up nicely. Like the others, I covered the area inboard of the Sharpie line with masking tape so I wouldn't scratch the lens. I did all the work in my hangar where the official temp was about 45 degrees- no cracking- though I wouldn't take that chance with the canopy.

Larry, try the Dremel Cut-Off Wheel No. 409. I hope the partnumbers are the same worldwide. It is MUCH safer to work with than the big ones delivered from Vans. Those little wheels will break before the plexi will crack. I used them for cutting all of my alloy sheetmetal as well as cutting my canopy. You will need a high-speed tool,m I used an air-driven one, but the dremel might work as well. Make several passes to cut. You see the tool I used on this pic.
dsc03792.jpg

Back