What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting Otiker clamps

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I didn't have a pair of side cutters that would make a dent in the stainless clamps to remove the old fuel pump, but the Harbor Freight oscillating saw we all bought for fiberglass work is perfect for the job-- assuming you've already replaced the worthless original blade with a good one from the aviation aisle at Lowes.

Wayne 120241/143WM doing 3rd CI:D:D

I didn't have a pair of side cutters that would make a dent in the stainless clamps to remove the old fuel pump, but the Harbor Freight oscillating saw we all bought for fiberglass work is perfect for the job-- assuming you've already replaced the worthless original blade with a good one from the aviation aisle at Lowes.

Wayne 120241/143WM doing 3rd CI:D:D

Mind sharing "what saw" you are speaking of? I've got fiberglass ahead of me.

I use a pneumatic or electric die grinder with a 3 inch cutoff wheel. Its easy.

Dont hit anything important like fingers, hose, etc

When doing the 5 year hose change on my CT I used a Dremel with a cut off disc. Worked great. Probably not as fast as a die grinder, which I also have, but I wanted to be sure to save the fire sleeve. I felt I would have more control with the Dremel but that's just me.

Oscillating saw

from Harbor Freight. About $40.00, and the same thing as the expensive "cast cutting saws" except for worthless blades that are easily replaced. Will cut hard material like fiberglass, aluminum, but not soft flexible material like skin-- or firesleeve.

Wayne 120241/143WM

I'm doing 2-3 hose changes a month. I like Sandpiper prefer the Dremel tool with the re-enforced cut off wheel. Goes through Band-It clamps and Oetiker clamps easily. You can remove Oetiker's with the installation pinch pliers, but some times you can't get a good angle and some you have to wrestle with. I prefer the smaller Dremel over some other tools just because of its size.

Back