What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting Door Racks

Phil

Well Known Member
Just curious before I fire up the dremel tool.

Has anyone come up with a creative way to cut the door racks? I can use the dremel tool with a cutting disk but that doesn't allow for a perfect 90 degree cut.

It's not a big deal - just something that's bugging me.

I'm redoing my door racks so I can install Sean's 180-degree kit.

Phil

Disk sander

If they are not perfect after the cut, just throw them on a bench disk sander with a square to square them up. Smooth the edges with a scotch brite wheel after that. Making the original cut with a chop saw should work too.

Yeah that's what I did on the first set too. My OCD pursuit for perfection keeps nagging at me though. So I was just exploring other options.

I wish I had a high-end bandsaw with a blade capable of cutting hardened steel. :)

Phil

Cheap bandsaw

I cut mine with a $100 bandsaw from Lowe's, then smoothed them up on the Scotch brite wheel. As Van's says, it's not a Swiss watch, it's a tractor. Of course, none of us buy that! :)

cut off wheel

the 90 degree pneumatic cutoff wheel (same used to cut windows and canopy) worked great - just like buttah.

Put it in the vise, fire it up...

Phil
Salt Lake City
RV10, finish kit

I used one of these HF saws. It has been the best $12 I've spent. Then I cleaned up the cut with a scotchbrite wheel.

bob

image_2397.jpg

One trick is to clamp a piece of angle iron to the part and use it as a cutting guide. The cutting disk can run up against the angle and "follow" it tracking a straight line both in the horizontal and vertical planes.

I use a little metal cutting band saw to cut the racks for the 180 retro kit. I then use the buffing wheel like others have mentioned. Let me know if you have any questions:)

Back