What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cutting aluminum

Skydiver

Is anyone using a power 10" mitre saw to make the required cuts on structural pieces instead of a bandsaw? I have heard that there are some carbide blades capable of doing this.

I would do that with an abrasive blade.

It is a bit overkill, but if you like doing things in a big way... by all means, have at it!

Me? I am getting by very nicely with a Sawzall and 24 TPI blades!

You need to have some Sawzall experience in order to go that route.They can be ungainly.

:) CJ

I know its un-American not to use tools powered by gasoline or electricity but a regular hacksaw with a decent blade worked fine for me :)
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - nearly ready to take to the airport!

Last edited:
Clogging....

Captain_John said:
I would do that with an abrasive blade.

Wouldn't an abrasive blade clog up with the softer aluminum?

A standard wood cutting blade with carbide teeth should work... I use wood cutting blades in my band saw. Each tooth just takes a chunk out of the metal... :) The metal hacksaw fine tooth blades just clogged up in the band saw....

gil A

A carbide tipped blade(the more teeth the better) is the easiest and fastest(and neatest cutting) for aluminum bar stock, angles and tubing. Use care with short pieces and light sheet stock(angles,channels,etc)--easy to mess up.

I have a cheap 10" miter with a cut off wheel. It works very nicely, but not for the faint of heart. Wear gloves and a face shield. I used it on the bigger AL angle and bar stock.

Roberta

az_gila said:
Wouldn't an abrasive blade clog up with the softer aluminum?

A standard wood cutting blade with carbide teeth should work... I use wood cutting blades in my band saw. Each tooth just takes a chunk out of the metal... :) The metal hacksaw fine tooth blades just clogged up in the band saw....

gil A

Gillie,

I had a job where I was chopping (BIG) AL angle for heat pump installs and the carbide teeth worked well. The kerf on a saw blade is larger than a comparable abrasive wheel (which DOES NOT clog up if you get the metal one, not the masonry one) and the chips are larger. They are also potentially more hazardous to your eyes.

OTOH, the dust from the wheel is kinda rough to take as well!

Choose your weapon!

YUP!

We use a 14" chop saw at work with a fine tooth carbide blade to cut aluminum pipe up to 4" dia. and it works great. Before that we used a horizontal band saw. The chop saw makes a cleaner cut and is much faster. For most of the RV parts you'll have to fab a 9" tabletop band saw with a metal blade works great. I used the saw at work to cut the long angles though. :)

thanks

Thanks for the responses. I am getting tools and shop prepared for a 9 project beginning this fall. I already have a 10" mitre saw and a spot on my shelves to store it. Will use the mitre saw and save the bench space for other useful items.

Back