What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cut into main spar flange to clear main gear?

cnpeters

Well Known Member
I followed Van's template to cut the main gear (9A) holes in the forward bottom skin. The holes overlap the 704 main spar flange a half inch, which means I will need to trim the latter for the main gear weldment to fit. Is this true or did I make a mistake (I double checked the placement of Van's template before cutting)?

Trim the 904

I followed Van's template to cut the main gear (9A) holes in the forward bottom skin. The holes overlap the 704 main spar flange a half inch, which means I will need to trim the latter for the main gear weldment to fit. Is this true or did I make a mistake (I double checked the placement of Van's template before cutting)?

After trimming, I ended up with only 4 of the double flush rivets (supposed to be 5) on the outside edge of the 976 forward bottom skin to the 904 forward bulkhead.

Thanks, guys. After I posted this, I also found the Van's reference on one of the plans that mentioned the need to trim the flange.

Back