What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Customer Number what does it mean

spriteah

Hello all,

I have ordered the RV12 Wings and Fuse.

My customer no have 120140 in it. Could that mean anything? Like Im kit 140?

Jim
Australia

Customer Number

I agree. My customer number is 120105 and I am wing kit #105. My wing kit arrived in Arlington, Texas yesterday.

Bob Kibby, fuselage kit on order

2,384. I'm 70240. Pretty soon you start finding out who has numbers near you. Then they become like relatives. Rich Emery has 70238. Not sure who has 70239, although I'm pretty sure it's flying.

In fact, a year or so ago I took a survey to see how many with numbers below me weren't flying. Not too many. ;) Fewer now, I suspect. When it gets really depressing is when you start reading first flight reports from 72211 etc. :D

Bob Collins
RV Builder's Hotline
(Everyone should've gotten a copy this weekend, by the way)

Not exactly a short line.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm in line to take possession of the Van's Turtle Trophy.

You may be in line, but certainly not at the front. Give Bob Avery a call and discuss his RV-4.
Sorry Bob. I couldn't resist.

Your "turtle" comment reminded me of a J-3 I saw with a silhouette of a turtle a the "throttle open" position and a snail at the "closed" position.

Bob, I'm 70231

and not even close to flying yet either. Keep munching on that elephant as you have the time. It's not like we're doing nothing else. Life is busy.:cool:

Bevan
RV7A

RV-2????

So, answer me this..... I inherited Vans #20004 with Mikey (my purchased RV-6). Does that make him the fourth RV-2 kit? :confused:

Your airplane would be the 4th RV-6 kit.

So, answer me this..... I inherited Vans #20004 with Mikey (my purchased RV-6). Does that make him the fourth RV-2 kit? :confused:

Originally the RV-3 number did not have a "prefix".
The RV-4 became 1xxxx. Then the RV-6 became 2xxxx.
My number is 20560 (1989 vintage).

Originally the RV-3 number did not have a "prefix".
The RV-4 became 1xxxx. Then the RV-6 became 2xxxx.
My number is 20560 (1989 vintage).

...it means it was built from the fourth RV-6 Emp kit sold/shipped. The first RV I built (6A finished in 1993) was also from that first batch of emp kits (I purchased the kit in 1988 from the orig owner who had never started it. It was serial # 20010. I think the first RV-6 emp kits began shipping sometime early in 1986 so with Mels kit 1989 vintage, there were over 500 6 kits started in that three year period.
That is the period of time when the RV popularity explosion began.

How are you all checking builder numbers to see which ones are close to you as far as progress goes, does van have a list that is we can look up?

What about the spar #

I'm builder #91611 and my wing spars came engraved with number 1299. When the time comes, will the FAA need a kit number and will it be the last 4 of the builder #, spar #, or some other number assigned from Van's? Just curious....

Alan
RV-9A Wings
N984AW Reserved

Longest build

I wonder who the turtle award really belongs to? (longest build time)

While we're at it, who gets the rabbit award? (shortest build time)

Leads me to think also

Most expensive RV built?

and

Least expensive RV flying?

Hi Jim,my name is brian Howard and i live in Queensland (Gold Coast) and i belong to the Gold Coast Sports Flying Club.I have also bought a rv12 wings and fuselage and my customer no is 120143 which is very close to yours so we might be able to ship together if its cheaper. What do you think.Brian.

Shortest Build Time

I remember reading on Vans Website some before I began building my "9" that an RV-6 builder was flying his in about 90 days! I think he averaged something on the order of 15 hr. / day until he flew it...crazy fast!

Doug Lomheim
(90116)
Fast becoming competitive for the "turtle" award!

Back