What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Curtis Drain Valve Seals

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Does anyone know a source for new seals as used on a Curtis fuel tank sump valve? The Curtis website says (to paraphrase) "buy new valves", no seals available. They seem to use something more akin to a faucet washer than an o-ring; standard o-rings sizes don't look like they will work.

Rebuilding a Curtis Valve

I have a Curtis quick drain on my Cub. It was moist from seepage at the seal. After an unsuccessful and extensive search for a replacement sealing washer, I called Curtis direct. Talked to a great guy about it. He said that they did offer them at one time. The problem was that some customers were trying to disassemble the valve and then re-rivet it together with the new seal, instead of just picking the seal out with a scribe and installing the new one. I assured him that I had no problem in removing it and just wanted a replacement. His final comment was that they may look into offering a rebuild kit that would include instructions and a simple tool for the job. I really think that it a legal vulnerability issue. Anyway, bottom line, I just bought a new valve. Sorry for the bad news.

Tom

Does anyone know a source for new seals as used on a Curtis fuel tank sump valve? The Curtis website says (to paraphrase) "buy new valves", no seals available. They seem to use something more akin to a faucet washer than an o-ring; standard o-rings sizes don't look like they will work.

I replaced my Curtis drain with the CAV-110 drain valve and it takes the following O-ring:

MS29513-006
$0.16 ea
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/safair.php

Back