What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CS prop, throttle, and rpm question

dmaher

I have a question for anyone flying with a 180hp constant speed prop…or anything similar ;)
With the prop full forward, at what throttle MP does the engine begin to struggle to maintain 2700rpm.
Put another way, if you pull the throttle back to say 15MP or 18 MP can the prop still spin at 2700?
I’m working on a simulator model and it makes too much power at low MP settings.
The option I have is to adjust the prop efficiency, which would change where the prop goes into full fine pitch.
So at 15MP the rpm might max out at 2300 for instance.
Danny

Last edited:
I've been looking at inflight panel pics, to come up with some answers. Not enough pic, though. Since I always pull the prop back to around 2350 rpm, that's the most I'm showing at 18 inches. For landing, I'd be out of the prop governing range, by the time I'll push the blue prop knob forward. And I really don't pay attention to the rpm gauge at that point.

Danny,
Depends on airspeed. At high speed you might get 2700 rpm with throttle at idle; at low speed more mp would be required to get max rpm.

Thanks for the answers; I can definitely eyeball this more to get the right behavior.
But it does sound like the prop would reach its fine pitch stop somewhere in the teens of MP.
...that’s assuming the airspeed has stabilized.
Right now in the simulator, on downwind with 15”MP the prop easily maintains 2700RPM...
83HP, and it won’t slow much bellow 130mph.

Back