What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CS-3204 tank sealant shelf life AFTER mixing in 6oz tube

bertschb

Well Known Member
Friend
I have a 6oz tube of Flame Master CS-3204 B2 (2 hour cure) tank sealant that I plan to use on the foam ribs in the trim tab. The next step in my build will be working on the elevator foam ribs but that will be 1-2 days later. I'm trying to figure out if I can use this tube of mixed sealant a few days after mixing it.

I've done some searching and learned unused tank sealant will last a long time if stored in the freezer but I can't find any definitive information on how long it lasts once mixed.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Last edited:
It will start curing in hours if you don’t put it in a freezer right away once you’re done. Don’t waist time getting what you need out and put it in the freezer. When you take it out, only take it out giving it time to come to roam temperature ( not overnight). You should keep your unmixed sealant in the freezer also . That you can take out overnight.
Just my opinion based on my experience, others might vary .

Assuming you have CS3204 B2: theoretically 2 hour working time; in reality it will start to thicken and become stringy and more difficult to work with after 30 minutes. If it is mixed and frozen and then thawed it is already going to be at this stage, so you'd be starting off on the back foot with the elevator ribs.

Some people have had success by dissecting the cartridge and separating out the components into individual storage containers to then mix in smaller batches.

I recommend a small digital jewellers scale that can weigh in increments of 0.1g. It will also be used later on for epoxy fiberglass work. A pint of CS3204 is not very expensive and it will keep for years in the freezer (unmixed).

Thanks for the feedback guys. I went ahead and ordered a second 6oz tube for the elevator ribs. I don't want to mess with taking the tube apart. I do have a small digital scale for when I work with tank sealant when I start on my wing kit.

In hindsight, I should have just bought a quart of sealant to begin with :-(

Back