What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cruise Fuel Flow in RV-10

dav1111

Well Known Member
Thought some of you might like to see some fuel flow info on my last flight from Denver APA to Lubbock LBB:

8500 MSL Cruise for 2 hours at 22.4 MP and 2310 RPM indicated 11.0 GPH fuel flow. Upon refueling it took 21.19 gallons for an actual fuel burn of 10.5 gph. I burned only from the right tank during the cruise portion of the flight.

The taxi from one end of the Denver runway to the other, climb out, letdown, and landing was all done on the left tank which needed 11.6 gallons on refuel.

If you wondered why it took over two hours from Denver to Lubbock and why I was so low, I had a headwind. The prop control was also not all the way in as I normally can pull about 24.5 inches at 8500 MSL.

I was running a stock IO-540-C4B5 with an MT prop. Oil Temp was 184 degrees and CHT's were between 353 and 402. I have not done any fuel injector work, that is a project for down the road.

At such setting and altitude I still had lots more range than my bladder.

Sounds like you were running LOP quite OK.

How do you get 24.5" at 8500' :eek: sounds like a TNRV10 to me! :D

We would normally get around 22.6" in our warmer part of the world.

As for CHT's you may want to work on them a bit, unless you are only in the sub 70 hours, they do settle a bit after that. The deflctor baffles at the front of the intakes can be trimmed quite a lot, or removed, and make sure your sealing is 100%........near enough is not good ebough!

Cheers

DB

Back