What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crosswind capability

rgmwa

Well Known Member
I'd be interested to know what the actual crosswind capability of the RV-12 is (flaps up and flaps down) in experienced hands. The POH gives the maximum demonstrated crosswind capability as 11kts, but I recall seeing 15kts or more mentioned in previous threads, and also that the limiting factor is the crosswind on takeoff, not landing.

It would be useful to have some real-world feedback on how well the -12 can handle crosswinds, even if my skill as a pilot may not be up to the same standard.

I have landed the -12 in a direct 15 mph cross wind several times. The tail / rudder is more than adequate. Technique comes into play with a dipped wing and a one wheel landing to stop side drift, but the -12 can handle that also. Very nimble and quick response, and the brakes are more than adequate for cross wind control once both wheels are down.

I am certainly not recommending flying the RV-12 past the limits set in the POH.

Last edited:
Suggest - -

sticking to the POH until you have LOTS of hours in it. Be ready for a go-around, and practice that also. A light plane with a large tail. Helps in spins, but works against you in cross-winds. Stay with the 'book' for a long time.

John Bender
307.5 hours.

All X-wind landings are at the comfort level of the pilot. As Larry says, the RV12 rudder is certainly capable of keeping the aircraft lined up with the runway at high crosswinds. Planting those mains is a practiced technique just like all aircraft maneuvers.

Thanks guys. All good advice, and I wasn't suggesting that anyone should ignore the POH or attempt to fly outside their personal limits.

Any comments on it's controllability in a crosswind takeoff?

Thanks guys. All good advice, and I wasn't suggesting that anyone should ignore the POH or attempt to fly outside their personal limits.

Any comments on it's controllability in a crosswind takeoff?

During my 15mph direct cross situation I did several touch and goes coming to a complete stop. Take offs were a non event, other than dragging the brake until the rudder had enough authority. My tail dragger experience can in handy. I was concerned about heating the brakes, but it did not seem to hurt it when enough time had passed for it to cool. Obviously, the plane wants to crab like crazy as you lift off so let her. Fly and keep her straight down the runway.

No worries mate. ;)

Take offs were a non event, other than dragging the brake until the rudder had enough authority.

Thanks Larry. I'm used to steerable nosewheels, so I can see some transition training will be needed to keep me on the straight and narrow when the windsock is horizontal :eek:

I thought I would add some personal experience in case it might help some RV-12 pilots.
I know it is not part of the POH, and it is a bit counter intuitive, but I have found that raising the nose wheel as soon as possible provides better rudder control during crosswind take offs.

As with all airplanes with clockwise rotating propellers, a left crosswind is the biggest challenge (torque already turns the airplane that way, weather vaning into the cross wind makes it worse.) 100 HP is a lot of power for an airplane that weighs 750 lbs or less empty. The torque turn to the left is a factor with left cross winds. Because no power is applied during landing, there is ample rudder authority (even in a left cross wind) but you need to use care applying power while aborting a landing or doing a touch & go.

For every takeoff I hold the stick full back, and add full power. Reduce stick deflection as soon as nose starts to come up, so that nose wheel stays 4-6 inches off the runway. Let the airplane fly off when it is ready.
(A demonstration of what I consider good take-off and landing technique for any tri-gear RV can be seen in the first 1:30 of THIS VIDEO)

I have found that if I use this technique in a strong crosswind, the moment the nose wheel leaves the ground, the amount of rudder input required is reduced by about a third. In a 15kt left cross wind, it makes the difference between full right rudder and dragging the right brake (and extending the takeoff run because of the dragging brake), or using 2/3 to 3/4 of the available rudder input and no brake.

As already mentioned... the airplane is very capable, but the pilot needs to be equally as capable. New RV-12 pilots need to learn the airplane, and work up to these type of operating extremes as their skills develop.

Scott, what a great (and nicely polished) video. Thanks for mentioning that again.

Robert, perhaps I mentioned this on the Recreational Flying forum but my intro RV-12 flight was with Mitch Locke, who as you know flies the East Coast RV-12 demonstrator and had a fair bit of time in it by then. It was at January's LSA Expo in Sebring (south Florida) on a real stinker of a day. The temporary FAA tower that controls flights at this Expo was reporting a direct 15G20 knot wind when Mitch took off on our flight, and it was reported to be same when he was landing. The landing in particular was a handful for Mitch given the gusts, but unintentionally he was demo'ing just how capable the a/c was in these conditions. By contrast, I watched a number of other LSA a/c departing and landing on that day and it appeared as tho' they were noticeably more difficult to control in those crosswinds. My wife independently commented that a few of the models - with those huge vertical stabs and under-fuse stab extensions - almost looked aerobatic on takeoff.

Jack

Thanks for the reply and the video link, Scott. Very nice demonstration and a great story too.

Jack, I do recall your previous post, and it's good to know that the RV-12 handles so well compared to others in its class. I'm looking forward to getting mine finished, although I'm also having a lot of fun building (except for those 54 #&@! wing ribs that I just finished prepping last weekend! That was hard work :().

Scott, what flaperon setting do you normally use for take-off and do you change that for crosswinds?

The procedure I use for takeoffs is one notch of flaps except in very strong cross winds. I prefer to have the up aileron actually deflect up when countering the lift tenancy of the wind.

This may not be necessary, but I actually haven't had lots of opportunity to fly RV-12's in strong cross winds, so I haven't been able to experiment much.

{The take-off in the video I linked to was done without any flaps deployed. On first flights, I prefer to keep the airplane configured as simply as possible and then mess around with changes at altitude}.

Scott

Last edited:
Scott,

Thanks for the video link. Will have to figure out a way to record and take to our next chapter meeting. WELL DONE!

Thanks for the info, Scott. I thought I saw the flaperons were up on the Teen Flight take off and I had been thinking about this for my first flight.

I just hope my 12 takes off and lands like that one - ie perfectly....! ;)

Back