What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Credit for Not Required Vans Parts

TimSPEED

Hi all.
So for the RV-8 I am about to order, I am considering a change in cowl to the James Aircraft unit as I really like the appearance of it.

To that end, I guess I could claim a credit on the finishing kit and not order the Vans cowl. My question is, is it worth it? I imagine the credit back is rather modest, and perhaps it would be best to hang onto all parts just in case.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What have others done with the Vans parts when making mods that negate them. Order them anyway, or claim maximum credit back?

Thanks

One thing to think about when letting “extra” parts stack up at home, and planning to sell them later, is the size of the part and shipping. Having an extra fuel valve is no problem - easy to drop in the mail. A cowl needs to be boxed and shipped, and if you don’t have a shipping department to figure out how to box a large, bulky (lightweight) item….it might just sit an gather dust until you find a local buyer. Shipping costs are also I going nuts these days.

So keep that in mind.

Paul

^^^
This.

I enjoy the garage sale aspect of buying and selling stuff and I frequently end up with extra of this or that, but there's no way I'd want to deal with having something as big as a spare cowling underfoot. Trying to figure out how to re-ship that thing if you didn't use it would be a hassle.

Save the money

The cost of shipping that cowl will be huge. It will take up a lot of space. It might get damaged while in storage. I believe Vans credits you 75% on omitted parts. If you plan to omit more items, it might save you more money to simply order the finish kit parts you do want, "ala carte". Simply ask Vans to send you a list of the parts included in the finish kit. That is what I did, as I don't like the cheesy "non structural" hinges supplied for fastening the cowl. I'm using the structural hinges and Skybolt fasteners.

I was able to buy my cowl, gear leg fairings, wheels, brakes, tires, tubes & other components in the finish kit from other builders at a substantial discount. Saved shipping costs on the cowl, as I was able to pick it up in person. [Return trip from visiting family up north]

With the back log Vans now has, better to order what parts can be had immediately, then order [or back order] the rest as needed. That way, you can still progress.

I have a long article I wrote on finding alternate sources of parts. I'd be happy to send it to you. Just PM me with your email address.

Charlie

Back