What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Credentials for Rotax inspection

If you are talking about an E-LSA RV-12, and the inspections prescribed by Rotax (not the annual condition inspection), there is technically no certification requirement.
If you don't have any of the certification training and you file a warranty claim at some point, I suppose Rotax could possibly deny the claim (But I am not aware of that ever happening... they have a lot of engines that were purchased by homebuilders... that would be bad for business I think)

The only certification technically required for E-LSA is the Repairman - Inspector certification to allow you to sign off the annual condition inspection.

BTW, required or not, I highly recommend that anyone intending to do any maint on a 912 Rotax, at least get the Service Specialty training. It can actually save you money in un-needed repairs.

To add to what Scott mentions, I'm a builder with very little knowledge about engines myself. While I'm going the E-LSA route, I took the Rotax authorized Service Course (2 days) and Maintenance Course (another 2 days) at Lookwood/Sebring Airport just last month

Excellent experience and highly recommended - there are a lot of unique features about the Rotax that are really worth taking time to understand. First two days are a must for owners - oil change, carb sync ect... All hands on. During the second course we took apart most of a 912 engine and put it all back together. (would never risk that on my own engine before that!)

Rotax now calls me an IRMT (Independant Rotax Maintenance Tech); I even have a laminated card. While I'm apparently now able to do a fair amount of engine work if needed, I'm not sure I would. But I do have a lot more confidence than I did from just watching some online videos.

What Scott and Brent said about the Rotax courses.

To actually remain Rotax certified, I think you have to take their renewal course every 2 years. For the Heavy Maintenance course there is no renewal - gotta take the whole thing every 2 years. If all you do is occasional work on your own, once is probably good enough although refreshers never hurt anyone.

Having some training may save you some money as Scott said. Screw up a cylinder head, just the head, and the replacement was $1,600 or so. That was a couple of years ago. Even an oil change could be costly if you don't have some training on how to do it. It's not difficult, just different with consequences.

Back