What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crankshaft rear plug, FIXED PITCH

gmkonrad

Well Known Member
Lycoming O-360-A1A, FIXED PITCH

Am I correct that there is no need to pierce the back crank shaft plug because there is no oil pressure going into the hub?
I believe I would just install the front crank plug, and be good to go.

You need to have a way to drain the cavity. If the engine is factory fresh, there normally is an EXTERNAL drain tube from the front of the engine to the rear govenor pad; and the rear governor pad has a special cover with a slot milled in it. if you have this, no need to punch. if not, need to punch.

Last edited:
You need to have a way to drain the cavity. If the engine is factory fresh, there normally is a drain tube from the front of the engine to the rear govenor pad. and the rear governor pad has a special cover with a slot milled in it. if you have this, no need to punch. if not, need to punch.
Just to clarify, this is an external line. There is no internal line.

Just beware that there are two different plates that could be installed on the govenor pad. One has the slot mentioned and one doesn't. If you have the flat plate without the slot machined in it, you need to pierce the rear crankshaft plug. Also, if you intend to remove the governor drive and associated plumbing to save weight, you will then need to pierce the rear plug in the crankshaft.
Good Luck, Mahlon

Just beware that there are two different plates that could be installed on the govenor pad. One has the slot mentioned and one doesn't. If you have the flat plate without the slot machined in it, you need to pierce the rear crankshaft plug. Also, if you intend to remove the governor drive and associated plumbing to save weight, you will then need to pierce the rear plug in the crankshaft.
Good Luck, Mahlon

Back