What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Craig Catto Interview - EAA

BSwayze

Well Known Member
I just watched a terrific video interview of Craig Catto. It's about 1/2-hour long. A very personable guy. I admire his thinking, his lack of formal education never held him back, he's been pursuing his passion his entire life, and he knows how to get things done.

I'll be ordering one of his props very soon for my RV-7A, so it's nice to know a bit more about the guy behind the scenes. I'll be proudly installing a Catto Prop!

You can watch the interview here:

http://bcove.me/urnlle1g

Visits

I've traveled to Craig's previous location twice to meet him and see the props under construction. He treated me like family. It was a beautiful drive from San Francisco, but the real beauty was watching raw wood and a few other basic materials converted into works of unimaginably functional art. While I understand much has evolved with the business since my last visit, nothing has changed, IMHO. The best people building the best propeller. I fly with a Catto 3 blade and I will always fly with a Catto.

Thanks Craig :)

Catto Propellers

.... and in any case he gave me the BEST propeller EVER for my RV-8. I always had a great feedback with him, great service and support.

Thanks

I just watched a terrific video interview of Craig Catto. It's about 1/2-hour long. A very personable guy. I admire his thinking, his lack of formal education never held him back, he's been pursuing his passion his entire life, and he knows how to get things done.

I'll be ordering one of his props very soon for my RV-7A, so it's nice to know a bit more about the guy behind the scenes. I'll be proudly installing a Catto Prop!

You can watch the interview here:

http://bcove.me/urnlle1g

I just finished looking at the Craig Catto interview. VERY interesting! Thanks for posting it. Dan

I'm on my second Catto prop, both on my RV-8.
The first was one of his hand made 2 blade props. Left handed to work with my Mazda Turbo Rotary. My phone interview with Craig was interesting; he helped me define what I was building so he could know what he was to build. Pretty nebulous data from me. We settled on a left hand version of his offering for an RV-8 with a 180 HP O-360. That way I could compare my engine's output with the known Lycoming engine on the known RV-8 airframe.
It worked great. My engine had less power than an O-360 at take off RPM, and more at high RPM @ 8,000 ft, with a good high speed run of 211MPH TCAS. Considering the extra drag of my radiator scoop, indicated by running @ 2910 RPM where about 2700 would do the job with a Lycoming. (I never did run that engine to full power)
After a while, I chickened out on the rotary, so I went Lycoming, but Craig had earned my business, so now I run a 2013 edition 3 blade, which is awesome.

The "Vangrunsven RV-1 " is hanging in the EAA Museum with one of Craig's masterpieces which he custom engineered and generously donated to Friends of the RV-1. Thank you Craig... you 'da man!

Back