What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracking FAB to servo mounting plate

walkman

Well Known Member
Seems like on my RV-8 stop drilling cracks in the FAB to servo mounting plate, or making a replacement, is an annual event.

Is there anything that folks are doing to mitigate this issue? Some sort of isolation mount perhaps, or a thicker and/or software plate?

I like the software idea. Then you can just reboot it.

Seriously ---
I assume this is a vertical induction with the chin inlet?
I agree w/Walt, most likely engine shake on start / stop is causing the airbox to strike the cowl. You'll probably need a borescope (go in from the bottom aft of the cowling) to see how close the box (nose) is to the cowl.

Photos are always helpful....

If it’s vertical induction, it’s a common problem. I just fabricated my out of 4130 per some early adopters and moved on.
My airbox has plenty of clearance .

Likely cause by the airbox hitting the cowl.
What Walt said. I went thru a bunch of plates before I was able to resolve the issue. I "softened" the connection between the cowl and airbox to reduce the loads seen by the plate. I used a piece of appropriately sized SCAT tubing, re-shaped to match the air inlet in the cowl. The other end is riveted and pro-sealed to the airbox. I haven't replaced a plate in 15 years.

My solution, I rivet a .063 doubler to the top of the new replacement top plate.
Some folks replace the .063 plate with a .125 plate.
Some other folks fashion a metal strut to support & stabilize the front of the FAB housing to the front oil pan bolts.
As others have said, insure that the housing is not interfering with the cowling & that the inlet snorkel rubber seal is not too stiff.

A lack of flexibility between the nose of the airbox, and the inlet of the cowl is the primary cause fatigue cracking in the plate.
Switching to a more flexible, interface will help a lot.
When mine cracked, I chose to remake the plate from .125 thick material using the original as a pattern.
No more cracking after doing that.

The airbox is out of balance (fore and aft). It is only a matter of time before you get cracks as it bounces around.

On the first build (RV-8A) I fixed this by replacing the aluminum FAB plate with 0.032” stainless steel. On the second build (RV-10) I took preemptive action by adding a scrap piece of J channel angle between the top forward bolt on the FAB and the engine case.

Carl

Back