What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracked Vetterman Exhaust

- Poindexter -

Well Known Member
Friend
I have a circular crack & separation, around the muffler on my Vetterman cross-over Exhaust. O-360. RV7a. 10-years old with 800 hours (600 hours in the last 3 years).
Have left phone messages, texts, and email to Vetterman with no response at all.
I would like to get this fixed or replaced asap, as I use the plane for business. Wondering if I should try and get it welded at a local shop, get the section replaced or move to a completely different exhaust system?
Exhaust Crack.jpg

I don't know your muffler system to know what it looks like under the shroud but I think the actual exhaust pipe goes straight through so you could still safely fly by taking the discharge SCAT hose off so no fumes get into the cabin. I had no problems getting in touch with Clint by phone when ordering my exhaust not long ago. Maybe OSH is the issue at the moment. Any welding shop should be able to TIG weld a patch over the cracked area if you can't get in touch with Clint.

Don’t fly with cracks in your exhaust. Recipe for disaster/fire.

A good muffler shop that does custom exhaust will be able to fix that in no time flat.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll pull it and take it to a muffler shop if I don't hear from Clint early next week.

Yes, I know about not flying it, in it's current state. It blew when I was climbing out, IFR, in the clouds, and then the carbon monoxide detector was screaming and beeping red.
We'll save that story for another post.

Back