What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crack in powdercoating...I hope...

cjensen

Well Known Member
I noticed this tonight afte I clamped the firewall brackets to the longerons...

4-13-07-008w.jpg

4-13-07-007w.jpg

I *THINK* this is just cracking of the powdercoating, but I don't know how far the split in the bracket goes toward the front. I can't see anything that looks like freshly cracked metal. I can't imagine a little c-clamp would crack steel angle...

Others recognize this? It makes sense to me that the flange/web would be seperated here to match up to the longeron, but I'm no engineer...

All OK...

cjensen said:
I noticed this tonight afte I clamped the firewall brackets to the longerons...

I *THINK* this is just cracking of the powdercoating, but I don't know how far the split in the bracket goes toward the front. I can't see anything that looks like freshly cracked metal. I can't imagine a little c-clamp would crack steel angle...

Others recognize this? It makes sense to me that the flange/web would be separated here to match up to the longeron, but I'm no engineer...

Chad... the two aft facing "fingers" of that bracket are not welded together. I guess they are designed to splay apart slightly, and the powder coat was all that was holding those two "fingers" together.

This is easily seen on sheet 44 of the old RV-6 plans, were the design of the part is detailed.

I guess Van doesn't bother telling you how the steel weldments are made any more... :)

gil in Tucson

No problem at all

Scary, aint it? I think it gets many, if not most of us. Sort of a rite of passage.

You did remember to buy enough flight line to complete the airplane, right?

Jekyll

Powder coating crack

Got me too. RV-7A You would think that Van's would add a note to the construction manual, so that we builders could more easily keep our emotions and blood pressure under better control
John Stiegelmeyer

powder coating cracked?

Rite of passage describes it perfectly. Scared the heck out of me and cost me an hour or so of worry, frantic picture-taking, and a call to Vans. Normal. Not welded. Press on and love it!
Len

I discovered it late at night on my QB. I didn't get more than an hour of sleep as I laid there worrying.

Jekyll

you would think....

You would think Van's would make notes of common things such as this just to reduce the number of support phone calls.

Then again Van doesn't have a 800 number either.

Back