What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crack in Lexan

olderthandirt

Well Known Member
Today I installed rear window and noticed after install a small crack, about a inch out from screw hole..question is: Do I have to replace window or wait and watch to see if it advances or can the crack be stop drilled with very, very tiny drill and filled with glue meant for Lexan?? I think the crack was caused by bending at screw hole..so can see it happening again??

Today I installed rear window and noticed after install a small crack, about a inch out from screw hole..question is: Do I have to replace window or wait and watch to see if it advances or can the crack be stop drilled with very, very tiny drill and filled with glue meant for Lexan?? I think the crack was caused by bending at screw hole..so can see it happening again??

I stop drilled a small crack in mine and filled with silicon...hasn't cracked any further��. I'd use a big enough bit to do the job.

Edit: As Perry stated...use the right sealant (I too researched for right silicon). You want to use a large enough bit to ensure the crack won't continue..

Last edited:
just a hint...

I too am 'older than......', so just hoping to be helpful.
this is a great forum, so don't be afraid to ask. Many things you may not be aware of have been discussed many times. If you use the 'search' button in the blue bar, it can bring up good answers.
If you aren't having any luck with search, some folks here are really good at it, and will point you to the thread.
Sometimes, even just 'googleing,......rv-12 lexan crack' will bring you right back here, the centre of the RV fixaverse? ;-)

be aware, some things that 'work' may not be 'recommended'.
It can be risky to seal the crack with 'silicone' as they make a hundred kinds of it, and some have ingredients that actually attack polycarbonate ( lexan) and will instantly craze or crack it at a stress point.
........always test the advice you get here.....like you would if your life, or a $300 part, depended on it!

good luck with your dang window...... my experience is stop drill....and wait to see if others crop up.
Likely not that critical to 'seal' it, is it?
There are approved products from Weld-on and others for use on polycarb if you really want to seal or glue it in hopes of improving the strength.

thanks

Perry; Thanks for encouragement and advise...I did google Lexan and ordered the Weld on #4 so when I stop drill it I can plug hole (tiny) with glue...surely hope no more show up...it was disappointing since I use the correct plastic drills exclusevly and exteme caustion drilling...it just cracked at bend...so scary to order another window and have it happen again...

drill it now

dont wait for the crack to grow stop drill it now with the drill you used to drill the holes

Back