What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CP-214 Leaking

GuinnessGuy74

I'm New Here
I have a CP-214 Pneumatic squeezer that has an air leak. This obviously prevent the tool from reaching max pressure. For those of you that have one of these or have repaired one, maybe you can help me?

The tool is leaking at the throttle valve. I am talking about the valve that is pressed in by the lever when you depress the trigger. I have taken the head assembly apart. Everything looks ok. The gasket on the swivel connection looks bad, but it is not leaking there. I replaced it with a thin o-ring anyway. The other o-rings look good. If any of these were bad, I'd think that the tool would leak air when not being used.

On all the assembly drawings I can find, there is an o-ring somewhere on the throttle valve around the safety bushing. This o-ring isn't on the outside is it? That bushing looks like a machined fit to the valve. No place for an o-ring on the outer surface, or inside as far as I can tell. Anyone know how to remove the safety bushing? Is it pressed out?

Here are the exploded views I can find:
https://www.ustool.com/pdfs/US114%20Series.pdf Page 8, part # 9 and 8.

http://www.store-planetools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=184 Part # 81 and 55.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This tool will squash a AD-3 rivet with no problem, but wont even dent an AD-4.

Thanks,
Jim

This tool will squash a AD-3 rivet with no problem, but wont even dent an AD-4.

This is often caused by trying to use set dies that are too thick and/or having the adjustable set holder out to far. In this way, the squeezer is trying to do its work too early in the stroke and the toggle mechanism is not providing its full mechanical advantage. Are you sure that is not the real problem? Seems like it would have to be one heck of a big air leak.

In terms of the air leak, I presume it is coming from between the sliding valve spool and the bushing, not the bushing and the head casting. If so, then no reason to remove the bushing from the head. Check for worn fit, otherwise it appears that the o-ring you are refering to is on the ID of the bushing to seal on the OD of the spool. Do you see a groove on the ID of the bushing?

Yes, I just popped apart 2 different vintages and found 2 results. The one on the left with the extra protrusion on the bushing has an O-ring just inside on the ID of the bushing. You may be able to see it in the photo if you look closely. The older one has no such feature and apparently depends on close tolerance machining to seal. It leaks a little.

9-30-9 008.jpg

Thanks for the reply. You know, I never though of that. This may be the case. I have never used one of these tools before. I just tried to estimate the distance to a finished shop head and picked the appropriate set that would hit that distance.

As far as the leak goes, it is between the throttle valve and the bushing. Not the bushing and casting. Looking at your pictures (thank you very much for that) my bushing is the kind on the left. Its sort of a build in safety stop. My valve looks like the one on the right though. I looked but didn't see an o-ring inside the bushing. I will have to look again closer after work.

I will also try and shorten the rivet sets and see if the mechanical advantage increases. Thank you so much for the help!

Jim

Back Head Leak

The air leaking from your throttle valve will have no bearing on the power the tool is developing. Either the setup is wrong or the tool needs to be rebuilt. If you need setup instructions feel free to contact me via a private email and I'll send them to you.

That valve serves as both the air inlet and the exhaust. On some squeezers it is perfectlly normal for air to leak as the tool cycles. The tool on the left has the newer bushing with the safety bar & O ring & the throttle valve with the cutouts. The tool on the right has the older bushing & the throttle valve with the holes (CP design). The tool on the right looks like a magnesium body with an aluminum back head - really old. The newer valve typically works on the older back heads, but the older valve doesn't always work on the newer back heads so you should be OK from that perspective.

If your tool is setting 3/32 rivets, my guess is that it will set 1/8" rivets.

Contact me tomorrow & I'll be glad to discuss it all with you.

Blue Skies!

Fred W. Kunkel
CLEAR AIR TOOLS
www.clearairtools.com

918 660-2687

Back