What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Coyote on Centerline

Amadeus

Well Known Member
Flying into rural airports has prompted go arounds because of deer, groundhogs and even skunks, but yesterday was the first coyote I've encountered on a runway. I was taxiing out to runway 24 at KLOZ London-Corbin Kentucky and this guy was on the centerline DARING me to approach him. I did, of course, he then sauntered off acting as if he had somewhere else to be and was never staring me down.

IMG_5197.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5198.jpg
    IMG_5198.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 264
At least in the midwest, they are pretty prevalent and have no fear at all. About 6 months ago I hit one on a touch and go in a 172.

Killed him in his tracks, but fortunately only cracked a wheel pant on the plane.

Other than a dent from a bird strike many years ago its the only time I've ever broken anything on an airplane.

It’s not just rural areas. Last year the aircraft ahead of us hit one on 27R at O’Hare. First time I’ve had to do a go around because of a dead coyote.

It’s not just rural areas. Last year the aircraft ahead of us hit one on 27R at O’Hare. First time I’ve had to do a go around because of a dead coyote.

I am at 06C (8mi due west of ORD) and we have a coyote that lives near the field and likes to hang out on the runway at times. In the urban jungle, it is not surprising that they find sanctuary in the human-less acres near an airport. Also have a LARGE bird (looks like a falcon) that likes to perch on a runway sign and stare at the pilots taxiing by.

Last edited:
Also have a LARGE bird (looks like a falcon) that likes to perch on a runway sign and stare at the pilots taxiing by.

Perhaps the stare is a challenge. Guessing the falcon can climb better than 500 per minute!

Because - as they say - “the centerline is where the pros hang out!”

Maybe he’s just trying to be a better pilot when he flies his Acme skyrocket….

Interesting side note, fly over Cows, Horses, Dogs, other domestic animals and they don’t even look up. Fly over a Coyote, and they head for the hills. I am surprised they are not more aware of a ground hazard heading at them at high speed.

You folks need to meet some kangaroos.

They munch on grass. Lot of grass on an airport.

They're nocturnal animals. They wake up and start grazing near dusk and stay out all night. If they're standing still, which they usually are, they're almost impossible to see unless you're looking right at them.

They're usually not even remotely intimidated by airplanes. If you do a low pass over a kangaroo, it'll watch you and give you a look that says, "What do you think you're doing in my sky, Junior?"

They can jump a 9' fence like it's not even there, so it's almost impossible to secure the airport perimeter from them. And besides, airport operators don't need to build fences to keep them out anyway, as long as they publish "WILDLIFE HAZARD EXISTS" in the chart supplement.
https://www.bartier.com.au/insights...-runway-an-obvious-risk-rules-court-of-appeal

They're made out of muscle, bone and gristle, and can weigh upwards of 180 pounds. If you hit one, your airplane will be leaving the airport on the back of a truck.

Their numbers depend on the ebb and flow of seasonal food supplies. Some years they're rare. Some years they have massive die-offs. Some years they're so thick on the ground that outback towns have signage warning you against driving at night.

I think about my relative helplessness against kangaroos during every night approach.

Haven't hit one yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQucLolnFeI

- mark

Coyote

I’ve hunted coyotes from the air for a living once upon a time. If you miss you will never get another chance. If they hear or see an airplane they are gone. We would track them in 3 or 4 inches of snow. They were killing my brother in laws sheep. We used a cub, I did it in a J -3 and a PA-18.

Danger!

Remember…..the real danger of the coyote is not the beast itself……but in their ineptitude in handling ACME products!!!! Be careful out there! :D:D:D

Remember…..the real danger of the coyote is not the beast itself……but in their ineptitude in handling ACME products!!!! Be careful out there! :D:D:D

After the coyote walked away I DID do a scan of the runway to ensure that one of the ACME round holes wasn't left behind. On the centerline that would rip the nosegear right off!

They're made out of muscle, bone and gristle, and can weigh upwards of 180 pounds. If you hit one, your airplane will be leaving the airport on the back of a truck.

If I lived and flew on your beautiful continent, Mark, I believe my night flying currency would suffer.

Perhaps the stare is a challenge. Guessing the falcon can climb better than 500 per minute!

Well the look he gives is unmistakably a "what are you doing in my space" look and have no doubt he is challenging me in some way.

ACDM

After the coyote walked away I DID do a scan of the runway to ensure that one of the ACME round holes wasn't left behind. On the centerline that would rip the nosegear right off!

Jayson………you made a great ACDM…..Aeronautical Coyote Decision Making……something I have always stressed to my students :)

Somewhat related (wildlife on runway) . . . . .
Taking off in my -7 at KSAC and saw a hawk up ahead standing on edge of the runway. I kept an eye on it and expected it to fly off immediately.
Bugger held its ground and stared me down as I approached.
Didnt flap until I was straight across. Gutsy.

You folks need to meet some kangaroos.

They munch on grass. Lot of grass on an airport.

They're nocturnal animals. They wake up and start grazing near dusk and stay out all night. If they're standing still, which they usually are, they're almost impossible to see unless you're looking right at them.

They can jump a 9' fence like it's not even there

I think about my relative helplessness against kangaroos during every night approach.

Haven't hit one yet

- mark

WOW, change the word KANGAROO to DEER and you've described East Texas while driving down the roads ! My ex- hit a deer one evening driving a vehicle I had just bought 3 weeks earlier, didn't even have the official Title to it yet ! The deer ran off and we were left with a wrecked car on a towtruck to bring us home.

I agree ! In over 4 decades flying I've only had 2 birdstrikes and one of them was while departing KSAT (San Antonio) which is in the 7th largest city in the USA, prompting me to return and land at the airport and then getting a rental car for myself and my crew to drive home over 2 hours away from there.

Back