What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling Question

rcarson

Well Known Member
I am working on the cowling and just installed the top half rear hinge that you replace 1/8" pin with the .90. I am not crazy about the .035 slop in the cowl that you wind up with. Has anyone done anything with cam lock fasteners on this assembly? It would seem that cam locks would give a much more positive hold and eliminate the constant movement in flight. It would be nice not to have to reinvent the wheel here if someone has some advice.
Thanks.

I am working on the cowling and just installed the top half rear hinge that you replace 1/8" pin with the .90. I am not crazy about the .035 slop in the cowl that you wind up with. Has anyone done anything with cam lock fasteners on this assembly? It would seem that cam locks would give a much more positive hold and eliminate the constant movement in flight. It would be nice not to have to reinvent the wheel here if someone has some advice.
Thanks.

My airplane has an aluminum strip riveted to the firewall, which holds 10 platenuts for the #6 screws I use across the top of the cowl. Plenty of people have used camloc's there too.

These are very common alterations - personally I didn't like the idea of having to fish around under a hot cowling to remove or insert a pin. It seemed like an unnecessary hassle to me.

Chuck up the larger pin in a drill and use a belt or disk sander to taper the part that needs to bend around the corner. Keeps the top tight. My buddy did this on a couple RV's. Easy to do and works great.
This question pops up a lot.

personally I didn't like the idea of having to fish around under a hot cowling to remove or insert a pin. It seemed like an unnecessary hassle to me.

Easy access through the oil door and it is all behind the baffle so I have never found heat to be an issue. I don't have a problem with other methods but Vans standard hinge pin is easy and works well.

Back