What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

COWLING QUESTION

rv7guy2

:confused: I have a question about which hinge to use for attaching the cowling. I received with my kit, a 6 foot and a 3 foot length of 1/8 X 9 ML hinge (thick hinge) and 6 feet of AN 257-P3 hinge. All 3 pieces were taped together. The AN 257-P3 hinge is thinner and much more flexible.
My question is, which one do I use where on the cowling ? The plans are unclear. Should I use the 1/8 x 9 ML along the horizontal joint of the top and bottom cowlings and along the bottom cowl firewall joint ? And the thinner, more flexible AN 257-P3 along the top cowl-firewall joint where there is a continuous curve? OR should I order more of the thicker 1/8 X 9 ML hinge from Vans and use it all the way around ?

Dave C
RV 7
C-GCPD

I just went through this myself a few weeks ago.

Use the heavy hinge around the firewall to cowling. On the top sections use the smaller SS hinge pin. It seemed odd to me but I confirmed that with a call to Vans. If you use the larger hinge pin that matches it you will not be able to get it in around the top cowling side curves. The plans kinda hint to this but they do not make it clear.

Back