What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cowling Pins

Larry

Can anyone direct me to a site that shows how to secure the left and right cowling pins neatly? I have seen clean installations on various RVs but not how it was done (the insides). I would ike to have a more areodynamic installation than the Vans recommended clip and screw approach.

Larry
N72NJ Moving closer to first flight July :)

From the inside!

Consider inserting the pins from inside the cabin. This is a very clean approach and really isn't that hard to install/remove.

I installed the lower cowl, pushed the hinge pin up to the firewall and marked where it contacted. I drilled a hole just big enough for the pin to slide through. Put a small 90 degree bend on one end of the hinge pin so you can hold on to it. You can install a small block on the inside to secure the pin in place.

To remove, I just sit sideways in the seats and reach under the panel and slide them right out. To put them in, I first lean over the side of the plane and get the pin stuck in the hole and started on both sides, then I can climb in and push them the rest of the way. Sounds worse than it is.

You could improve the accessiblity by running some small ID tubing from the hole in the firewall to the subpanel and secure it. Then it might be easier to install/remove.

Just a thought.

I have made my pins removable from the inside. I secured them bu the sub panel. A nut plate fitted (on pillar below sub-panel) then formed a loop to pass a bolt through.

One tip. Ensure the FIRST loop of the lower cowl is against the firewall. You are then able to position the pin from inside and ensure it is in the cowl hinge before you fit the top cowl.

Back