What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling piano hinge

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Im getting ready to rivet the cowl piano hinge to the fuselage/firewall flange. I was testing removing the pin, and while sliding it back in, as soon as there is some binding, the aluminum pin bends. Also, the pin is difficult to even get it out. Should the pin be steel. Am I missing something?

All of the pins will be steel in the end. The hinge comes with aluminum pins, but there should be steel pin stock to make the final pins. The top cowl aft pins will be a thinner steel material so it can fit the bend in the top cowl.

That is for the sides and the bottom. The top rear uses .090 I believe.

Edit: Page 47-7 has the pins called out. One common and recommended mod is to use a piece of .063 sheet on the bottom of the bottom cowl with nutplates and screws or cam locks. That hinge has a tendency to break.

Last edited:
The pins will be tight and hard to put in and pull out for the first couple of months.

I used a Teflon lubricant until the pins wore a bit and became easier to move.

Also, when you put a point on the end, make sure that the point is off center. These will enable you to turn the pin to free the pin if it hits something. This is very helpful for the top firewall pins.

I also use a small vice grip to put the pins in and pull them out.

Yes went with the aluminum plate and nut plates for the lower. Just glad I dont need to deal with that aluminum pin.

Back