What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling Hinge Pin Access

Snowflake

Sidney, BC, Canada
Sponsor
I saw a photo in a post today of a main gear installation on an RV-7, and found myself looking at the skybolt fastener strip down the side of the firewall. That got me to thinking about the attachment hinge that normally runs along the bottom edge of the firewall.

On my RV-6, and I assume the -7 and -9, the hinge pins are inserted from the center of the fuselage, near the exhaust pipes, while you lay on your back or crouch awkwardly under the airplane. But I just realized that the axis of the hinge may pass right behind the gear leg, and if extended it would come out inside the intersection fairing.

Would it be possible to drill a small hole in the flange where the firewall and fuselage side skin meet, and insert that hinge pin from the outside? Then the "L" on the end would lay against the side of the fuselage, and it would be covered by the intersection fairing. Even better, it would be prevented from accidental backing-out by the fairing. Much easier to access when removing/replacing the cowling, too.

Has anyone done this?

Sounds workable.

Personally, I prefer to rivet platee on the firewall flange & secure the lower cowl with a few screws/nutplates.
Quick secure attachment, never have to get hands dirty in the tail pipe or cowl belly area, & never have to deal with worn or broken hinge loops.

Back