What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling clearance for mixture control

DakotaHawk

Well Known Member
My RV-7 with IO-360 with vertical intake Airflow Products has interferance between the mixture cable/arm and the side of the snorkel. I've tried to make a stand-off to move the mixture cable toward the centerline about 1/8", but still can't prevent the interference. It only happens at full rich position - maybe the last 5% of cable travel. I'm using the stock cable support sold by Van's for the throttle/mixture cables.

Has anyone else had this problem? Figured out how to solve it? :confused: I've considered glassing in a bubble on the side of the snorkel to provide the clearance needed. It would only have to be about 1/2" to give good clearance.

I've checked my cowl for alignment and that's not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Scott
RV-7 N957RV
Arlington, WA

Common Problem

Search Vertical Induction for multiple threads and discussions. I cut my mixture arm down and rewelded it. If you cant find the threads, give me a shout and I will post some photo's.

I think he'll have better luck searching 'Horizontal Induction'. Vertical uses a FAB; horizontal uses the snorkel.

Scott, I have no experience with your setup (mine is vertical) but can you move the mixture arm so that full rich is within the limit your cable can operate w/o interference? Or does that give you problems at the other end of the range?

More on interference

I guess I wasn't very clear about what I have. My setup uses vertical induction with the FAB airbox that hangs down into the cowling snorkel (or is it called a snout?)

Anyways, I'm still looking for answers. I was thinking about glassing a bump onto the side of the snout/snorkel, but I'm beginning to think that wouldn't look very good...

Scott Stewart

Maybe you could post a picture of your installation? Here is the section from my website on the work I needed to do to get around the -A engine mount. It doesn't exactly relate to your question but without seeing what you have I can only guess that your problem can be solved by either or both 1) turning the throttle body so the mixture is on the left and 2) reclocking the mixture arm (easily done but may complicate the control arm routing). In my installation I have absolutely no interference with the FAB or cowling.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies...

I finally decided to build a bubble on the side of my snoot to allow the standard mixture arm to be used. I'll take a pic and post it to show how it looks.

Back