What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling at spinner end

hcccs

Well Known Member
The cowling is supposed to be held together at the front by a aluminum strip, riveted to one half and screwed to the other. Is there any reason not to use a piece of hinge instead?

Hinge

Hi Hcccs
The hinge material in our kit lacks sufficient strength and contact surface area to withstand the stress in the area of the cowl /spinner.

It was that way...

I'd be looking for a heavier hinge than what's in your cowling kit. Sounds like a good idea to me!

The original -6 plans called for a short length of MS-2001-4 hinge behind the spinner.

I believe cracking of this heavier, extruded hinge caused Van to improve the design and specify the present screw/metal plate arrangement.

The suggested change would be a step backwards....:(

gil A

Roll Over...

I used Rolled Hinge Material from F16 throw-away stock on my RV4 and it worked well for 1500 hours...much stronger(Acft Spruce sells it). My Rocket has screws through the plate and also works well...your call.

Rob Ray
HR2

Hinges...

I used Rolled Hinge Material from F16 throw-away stock on my RV4 and it worked well for 1500 hours...much stronger(Acft Spruce sells it). My Rocket has screws through the plate and also works well...your call.

Rob Ray
HR2

Rob.... I left a "0" out in my part number (copied from Vans instructions...:)...)

I believe you meant "extruded" rather than "rolled" on the hinge you "found".

Van called out for the 0.040 extruded hinge - MS20001-P4 - which is probably the F-16 stock you "found", and provided this with the early kits.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/pianohinge.php

A lot of early builders had these hinges crack, and hence the change. The -4 has rather different cowl geometry than the -6s and that might explain your better luck keeping them intact....:)

Extrude me...

My bad Gil, there I go, verbage again! The Van's (non-extruded) hinge material lasted less than one year, hence the improvement was installed.
RR

I really did pull it out of the sheet metal shop rubbish bin...:)

Back