What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl plans

Is it just me or am I missing some more detailed info for the cowling installation. Drawwing 45 is the main drawing, but there is little if any description on step by step (general or detailed) information. Im not sure if I am to start to fit the lower cowl first then the upper or vice versa. does it even matter. Also, as i am leaving the forward skin off for easy access to the panel area, will I have problems with just clecoing the main 1/8 hinges to the firewall flange, so I can cut and trim the cowl or must the hinges be riveted. thanx, keep on keepin on, gary

I used Skybolt fastners, instead of hinges, but I think this approach would work for hinges as well. As you can see in the picture below, I added extra holes on the firewall flanges and riveted on the strip the skybolt fasteners attach to..... worked well for me for fitting the cowling and recently I riveted on the forward top skin without any issues.

Hope this helps,
Jason

13z8vt1.jpg

Bottom first. I believe the instructions say top first, but I did mine that way after studying it for awhile. The bottom self-aligns. The square corners at the firewall all but guarantee it. Since I'm building a straight -7 I had to notch the corners for the gear legs, but even so it took less than an hour to get the lower cowl on and aligned using a ratchet strap to hang it from the engine. I used the method in the instructions for marking the aft edge for cutting. I installed the prop and used the back spinner bulkhead with some 1/4" thick plywood spacers to locate the front of the cowl, using spring clamps. Like Jason, I used 1/4 turn fasteners which made it easy at the firewall- I drilled through the fiberglass and the fastener flange (already riveted to the firewall) to support the cowl.

850895070_qycs4-L.jpg

Back