What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl outlet temperature reached 230F for the first time.

Wayne Gillispie

Well Known Member
On our return trip from Triple Tree(SC00) Sunday. It was our first time at 16,500'. Second highest being 13,500. We were at 5 degrees nose-up deck angle to maintain level flight. Beautiful blue, haze-free sky over-the-top and very smooth. My passengers all sound asleep. Our oil temperature went up a few degrees above normal to 183F. Outside ambient was 0C/32F. Mileage went up to 16.0 nmpg with a 15 kt headwind. Normally 14-15 nmpg. TAS was 136 knots. Running WOT, 16.1" MP, 2400 RPM, 7.9 gph, 10-30F LOP. At this power setting and loaded heavy with the family/camping gear, I was still seeing 200 fpm climb rate nearing my cruise altitude. We were all flowing .6 LPM of O2. You have to love this family hauler. Then my LED illuminated. Yikes. Fuel flow okay, oil pres/temp okay, all normal indications and no strange smells. Keep cruising.

Anyway, very interesting that my cowl outlet temperature never reached that high even during last summers 95-100F ambient temps during our Osh trip. That is what low density air and fixed cowl inlet/outlets do for us I guess. I was just thinking about all of those WWII planes and what they had to engineer to get up as high as they flew. Keep saving and building those -10's, you are going to love them!

Prior to reading the line about your O2 flow, I thought I knew why all passengers were sleeping! ;)

I can't wait to be in your shoes! I'm pushing strong to the finish line!
David

Prior to reading the line about your O2 flow, I thought I knew why all passengers were sleeping! ;)

I can't wait to be in your shoes! I'm pushing strong to the finish line!
David

My wife and two kids are usually sleeping in cruise, with or without O2. Unless we are down low for weather. They like the constant noise and smooth, cool, dry air up high. My wife and I take off with O2 ready to turn on. The kids usually want to wait as long as possible. We use a pulse oximeter every 5-10 minutes above 12,500.

We will be out in the NW one of these days to see you. Work a little everyday and it will be finished soon.

Make sure your outlet temperature probe is shielded from both radiant heat (from the exhaust system) and conducted heat (via the mounting system).

CHT?

Wayne,
I would be interested to know your CHT's at that altitude, you indicate that Oil temp was 183 so that is perfect. Also, you indicate a TAS of 136 kts that surely must be GS. I was at 16000' of the Rockies last year with similar numbers to yours except the TAS. At that altitude I was showing a TAS 0f 155 KTS.

Back