What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl mistake

redmark

So it seems I made a mistake sanding my bottom cowl and over sanded the left side. To fix the problem I may have to shorten the cowling by no more than 1/4" beyond the scribe line. For those who have completed this step.... is this to much? Will it effect the internal clearance?

Thanks,
-Ron

Ron,
I know nothing about the -12 but if the cowling is anything like the other RV cowls then it is pretty easy to add back an over-cut/sanded edge. I'm certainly no fibreglass expert but I managed to put right the 1/8th inch too much that I cut off my RV-7 cowl.

Do a search on VAF for "scarf joints". You should find some discussion. Also look up wax sheets in the fibreglass supplies catalog. That is what I used to get a good matching surface for the layup.

So it seems I made a mistake sanding my bottom cowl and over sanded the left side. To fix the problem I may have to shorten the cowling by no more than 1/4" beyond the scribe line. For those who have completed this step.... is this to much? Will it effect the internal clearance?

Thanks,
-Ron

My opinion is that it would.

Thanks for the reference... I found the discussion(s) about structural scarf joints. I sure hate this fiberglass work.

-Ron

Back