What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl hinges

EWH22

Hi all,for those that have gone before me. I am getting ready to hang my engine on my 7A, I had another builder over to look at project (he has a 6a), he suggested placing cowl hinges on now to be able to rivet. I have engine mount on and think i can squeeze rivets. Also i can not find a length call out on drawing for side attach hinge. what have others done, are shims necessary.Any info appreciated.
Ed

Yes

Hi Ed,
Just make the side hinge as long as the straight part of the cowl. We used three camlock fasteners on each side on the bottom. You'll be much better off with camlocks (from Spruce) on the top of the upper cowl instead of trying to snake the hinge pins around the radius. 4" spacing works well.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
Regards,

Camlocks

Either way you'll need to rivet the hinge or the fastener plate. Somewhat tight to squeeze on a couple of them.

I used Skybolt fasteners on the top and bottom seam line, the top and bottom. I used hinges on the lower cowl sides. Doing it again I'd use camlocks all the way. A little more money but great fit and easy to remove.

I fastened the hinges to the firewall before installing the motor mount. It is a lot easier without that in the way. Use the shims recommended in the plans or your cowl won't set flush with the fuselage. Use the cowl as a guide for the length and placement. Leave the gap by the oil door for removal and installation of the upper pins.

Roberta

Back