What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl fitting with Airflow performance

pnassar

We recently removed the EFII system on an RV10 and replaced with an Airflow Performance (AFP) Injection system. The cowl no longer is inline with the intake. Seems to be about the thickness of the extra mounting plate supplied for the throttle and mixture brackets causing the throttle body to extend down to far about 1/2 an inch or so. I spoke with Don at AFP and he said he has never heard of this issue and if there is a problem the assemble is to short. The airbag is standard vans. The cowl was split during construction but otherwise is standard with intake position unchanged.

Has anyone had this issue?
Suggestions to resolve?

tempImagebezZnb.pngIMG_0789.jpegIMG_0788.jpeg

I can't help you with your question, but I would love to know why you are removing the EFII system and which system is it?

I can't help you with your question, but I would love to know why you are removing the EFII system and which system is it?
It was the FLY EFII system. I had intermittent pauses in the ignition that we could not isolate. Radio noise persisted despite multiple lead changes and isolation attempts. Final event was when of the plastic harness connectors broke. Not aviation grade and no redundancy if you lose the entire harness.

Engine ran great and started fantastic. Robert Paisley was always helpful. Just did not trust the unit, especially for regular IFR flight.

I would see if they make a tapered spacer. If not, I would get one made from a machine shop. If they have a mill, should take someone about 30 minutes to make that part. Probably less effort than cutting up your cowling.

If you like, you can modify the FAB to accept a SCAT Hose as transition to the cowl intake. The fiberglass part is available from James Cowl. Doing this you have control of “aiming” the intake to the cowl inlet.

Note - this FAB has the top plate flipped over to accept the taller E-1000 filter. Not required for what you wan to do.
Carl

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 42
Even easier would be to cut out the top of the FAB and make an adapter plate attached to the back side of the throttle body flange, plus a shim if necessary, to raise the FAB relative to the throttle body. Cut around the perimeter of the flange like the blue lines below. Then make a 2-piece adapter plate to glove around the back side of the TB flange. In effect, that puts the entire flange below the top of the FAB plate.

If that's still not enough added height, remove the adapter plate at the sump which holds the throttle and mixture cables and figure out a different way to hold those cables.

1717699324930.png

Back