What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl fitting to 200RV prop

bikes_and_planes

Happy holidays to all! Per a now longstanding end-of-the-year tradition, I'm taking a week off of work to hopefully make some major progress on my -7A project. I'm currently working on the baffle installation, and have gotten to the point where I need to start shaping and trimming the forward baffles to fit the cowl.

I plan on mounting a Whirlwind 200RV CS prop, but would like to avoid buying it until the very end of the project. I'd like to find a way to simulate the spinner so I can finish the cowl installation. I've got a plan in mind that I'd like to bounce off anyone who has maybe gone down this road before.

This document from Whirldwind's site shows the prop flange to spinner dimension to be 1.62": http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/pdf/Whirl Wind 200RV 74RV Spinner Options_RevA.pdf. I have the spinner hardware from Van's CS spinner kit (made for the Hartzell CS prop), so it seems reasonable to just mount the spinner back plate from the Hartzell kit 1.62" forward from the prop flange user some kind of spacer for the purpose of fitting the cowl. Then, I would just need to fit the cowl 1/4" aft of the Hartzell spinner back plate. That should allow the Whirldwind prop to fit perfectly... right?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I've seen this done before also and it worked fine. The whirlwind spinner is different in how it mounts, so you may need to make some clearance on the inner lip of the cowl, but the aft side of the spinner is in the same place.

I originally built for a 200 RV. After 200 plus hours I switched to a Hartzell. No major cowl mods needed. Build on! Merry xmas

FYI, Whirl Wind can send you a "prop simulator" to use while waiting for your prop to be built. It gives an accurate spinner location to work to. No charge for this service and you just send it back to them when done.

Randall in Sedona

prop fit

I used the ww 200 prop simulator. It worked really well as you don't have to walk around the blades while working on cowl fit. Ron

Hartzell vs. WW

I originally built for a 200 RV. After 200 plus hours I switched to a Hartzell. No major cowl mods needed. Build on! Merry xmas

Do you mind shedding some light on why you switched from a WW prop to a Hartzell one? Did you switch to a composite Hartzell or a metal one?

Also FYI it looks like your inbox may be full :)

Back