What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl fastner strip question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
For those that used 1/4 turn fastners, how wide did you make the strips that the fasteners are mounted on. I got some from Spruce .050 that are 2 1/2 inches wide and am thinking about cutting them down to 1 1/2.
Thanks!
Charles

Milspec Instructions here

Take a look at this, Charles. Not sure what brand you'll be using, but here are the Milspec instructions that will give you an idea.

http://www.milspecproducts.com/RVLancInstr.pdf
(see picture & text at bottom of page 3.)

I'm using the Millspec and also have the .050 stuff like you

Last edited:
Milspec

I started with .050 at 2.5 inches per the instructions. However, I ended up trimming at least a half inch or more off of all the strips. They were to wide and hitting the thicker part of the cowling. If I was starting over, I think I would go up to .063 to make them just a bit stiffer.

IMG_5661.jpg

I started with .050 at 2.5 inches per the instructions. However, I ended up trimming at least a half inch or more off of all the strips. They were to wide and hitting the thicker part of the cowling. If I was starting over, I think I would go up to .063 to make them just a bit stiffer.

That looks great, Peter! I used .063; wouldn't want it any less stiff. With my pink cowl I'm finding that I had to bend the tabs down to follow the line of the upper cowl, and will need to shim them as well. Will be trying .020 tonight since it's easy using kit-supplied material, though I see the plans call for .032 when using hinge.

Mine ended up 2 1/8 inches wide. I used the .050 strips from A/S and I am happy with them. They seem very solid to me. But, I am not flying yet.

One thing others have said here that I wish I had done... don't scallop the sides down the fuselage. You do need to scallop across the top so the strips will conform to the curves. However, if you scallop along the sides where it is really not needed, the lower cowling get caught in the scalloped areas when you try to put it on.

Good luck!

Just finished my cowl strips ...

... and used the .050 strips from A/S also. Mine look much like Peter's above. I'm happy with the rigidity and the overall result, using the Milspec fastener kit for the f'wall only.
By the time you get all the scallops cut and smoothed, and the fasteners marked and drilled, you'll be very close friends with those strips. AMHIK. Lotta hours there. :D

Thicker is better

I went with .063 material and still notice the rear of the cowl raises almost a sixteenth of an inch in flight. It's not a problem, but I sure wouldn't recommend thinner material. Also, don't scallop any deeper than necessary as this weakens the overall structure. The lifting forces on the top of the cowl are not insignificant.

Back