What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl Clearance Issue for Jabiru Installs...

TomVal

Well Known Member
I purchased Pete’s Krotje’s Jabiru powered RV-12 prototype. I was in Shelbyville yesterday to pick up the aircraft. We discovered the muffler heat exchanger was interfering with the lower left cowling. A small puncture about ¼ inch was worn through the cowling. The aircraft has about 80 hours total time.

With most of the Jabiru USA staff down at Sun-n-Fun, I don’t know what the exact fix will be. Unofficially, it looks like a small modification to the forward left corner of the heat exchanger would fix the clearance issue.

It is quite possible that my configuration is different from yours. BTW, the engine is superb and is a great match for the airplane.

Regards,

Last edited:
Tom,
I spoke to Pete last week and he told me his award-winning bird had been sold. Congrats!!!!! I look forward to the replies to this, as my Jab engine is supposed to be here any day now. Not many Jab's in the -12 yet, so hopefully we'll get some reponse and find a solution. But when Pete retuns, he'll have the answer!!!

Last edited:
Mods to prototype RV-12

My aircraft, being the RV-12 Jabiru 2200 prototype has gone through a series of mods that may not apply to current customers of the conversion. As a condition of sale, Pete Krotje agreed to accomplish all of the outstanding Van’s service bulletins. A few additional mods were made unknown to me at the time. A list of those mods follow:

The heater air duct hose was relocated from the underside of the muffler heat exchange box to the top of the box. The photo below shows the original location of the hose.

A decision was made to locate the hose on top of the heat exchange box to eliminate having the ducting resting on the bottom of the cowl. In order to do this, the heat exchange box had to be slightly enlarged in length. This increase in size was just enough to create a slight contact with the lower cowl. The fix was to round the forward left corner of the box to create more clearance. Again, this mod should not have affected anyone whom has taken delivery of the firewall forward kit. Talk to Pete if you have any questions about this.

Fuel gascolator drain. A hole was drilled in the lower cowl to allow direct access to the drain.

Oil service door: In lieu of the previously installed camlocks, a latch was installed in the door. I now have two plugs covering the camlock holes in the door (ugh).

Note: I plan to adel clamp all of those tie wrapped wire bundles.

img0012fy.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited:
I am looking forward to hearing more about the Jab's in 12's. Although I really like the 912, the Jab's are a very nice alternative. We have not heard much out of the Viking guy's for awhile, what's going on with those?

award

Hi just wondering how an aircraft which has had the muffler wear a hole in the cowling win any award at an airshow

Hi just wondering how an aircraft which has had the muffler wear a hole in the cowling win any award at an airshow

This modification was made well after the SnF judging event. The photo in my previous post shows the original installation which was in place at the time of the event.

I haven't pulled the cowl since I took delivery of the aircraft 6 days ago. The next time I pull the cowl I'll take a photo of the current mod and post it for comparison. I don't know if this mod will become a permanent change for subsequent firewall forward kit orders.

Now that Pete no longer has an RV-12 prototype to tinker with, I will post any engine / cowling issues that I discover on this forum. BTW, Pete Krotje is a stand-up guy. He is honest and takes great pride in his employees and products that they deliver.

Last edited:
Back