What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

'Cover' for flaperon tip?

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Section 18 - flaperon. I am about to rivet the parts of my flaperons together. Question is - is there a 'cover' for the outboard end of the flaperon assembly? I have two unused A-1210s which look like they could be forced into position on the outer ends of each flaperon but not without considerable 'massaging' of the parts. Are these meant to cover the outer ends of the respective ailerons? What am I missing in the instructions?

I have looked thru many builders logs and can't see a clear answer to this question - most everyone has construction pictures of the inner end on the flaperons - not the outer ends.

Thanks.

flaperon end cover

I just finished my flaperon's and no end cover that I saw... one thing you might want to watch for is rivets on stub spar can rub on flaperon, may have to countersink them...good luck

Hi Ed, havent heard from you in a while! The plans do not show a 1210 at the outboard end of the flaperon, just a 1204. The 1210's that came with the kit should be two 1210-R's and two 1210-L's. One point of confusion to watch out for is that the R and L designations are not related to the right and left flaperon, but denote which way the flanges are oriented. Each flaperon uses one L and one R. Hope this helps.

Thank you to Dick and John. I thought that I had missed an instruction in the manual. It's always disconcerting when I have pieces that don's seem to match the plans or a few extra parts!

John - I'm still here - remodeling my older house. seems that it will never end. My great friend Richard Reed (RV-8), offered to help me build my 12 kit more than a year ago. Just couldn't get to it. So, Richard, Juang and I started the build in January. I am amazed by the quality of the kit pieces.

We'll be flying next year. John, I hope to see you at some East Coast or Mid West fly-in next year. Thanks again, I appreciate.

Section 18 - flaperon. I am about to rivet the parts of my flaperons together. Question is - is there a 'cover' for the outboard end of the flaperon assembly? I have two unused A-1210s which look like they could be forced into position on the outer ends of each flaperon but not without considerable 'massaging' of the parts. Are these meant to cover the outer ends of the respective ailerons? What am I missing in the instructions?

I have looked thru many builders logs and can't see a clear answer to this question - most everyone has construction pictures of the inner end on the flaperons - not the outer ends.

Thanks.

Ed; As John said each aileron uses two A1210's one 'L' and one 'R'
I am surprised that you would have 2 extra A1210 nose ribs.
Did you use two (one of each) A1210's on each aileron?
Jerry

Thanks, Jerry

I've got the flaperons put together correctly now - thanks to all who answered my questions. I did use two A-1210s in each flaperon. Missed the instruction to include one inside of each flaperon:eek: Working too late at night wasn't a good idea! I really appreciate everyone's help.

Back