What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Couple maintenance questions

AndyRV7

Well Known Member
I am going to pull my fuel drain valve in the cowl, and I want to be sure I can replace it. I have a new valve and a bunch of o-rings but I am not sure if there are any specific torque specs I need to adhere too or any kind of seal I need to put on the threads. I would have just rubbed a little EZTurn fuel lube on the threads of the valve and screw it back in. Is this all I need to do, or should I be using some other type of sealer on the threads?

Also, I am trying to buy some replacement screws for my cowl and fairings and wheel pants and things like that. On my plane, they seem to be mostly the same size but I do not know what that size is. I was hoping for some common suggestions so I could order a few and see if they match. The screws are about 3/16" - 1/8" thick, and about 1/2" - 3/4" long, with countersunk shaped heads. I also want to make sure I order an appropriate quality screw if that is critical.

Any advice would be great. I am a new owner.

Thanks!! Andy

I would have just rubbed a little EZTurn fuel lube on the threads of the valve and screw it back in. Is this all I need to do, or should I be using some other type of sealer on the threads?

Thanks!! Andy

That what I do Andy. EZturn.

Also, I am trying to buy some replacement screws for my cowl and fairings and wheel pants and things like that. On my plane, they seem to be mostly the same size but I do not know what that size is. I was hoping for some common suggestions so I could order a few and see if they match. The screws are about 3/16" - 1/8" thick, and about 1/2" - 3/4" long, with countersunk shaped heads. I also want to make sure I order an appropriate quality screw if that is critical.

Easy to get them from the source.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1412094005-500-36&browse=hardware&product=screws

You most likely will find a combination of 6-32 and 8-32 screws on your RV. Both AN507 (countersunk) and AN515 (button head). Wheel pants are usually 6-32 to hold them together and 8-32 to hold them onto the plane. Most of the inspection panels on the interior are 8-32 (AN515-8R8). Look through the list at Vans and maybe pull a few screws and measure the length if needed and you should have an idea of what to get.

Back