What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Coupla questions for -10 owners.

pierre smith

Well Known Member
I searched the CAFE foundation for best glide speed/engine out numbers but they haven't tested a -10 yet. What have some of you determined best glide, engine out?

Secondly, how many of you use a tow tug and which brand?

Thanks,

tow bar

Bogert--works great. I have an long extension on it with ring, and can tow with golf cart if necessary. Extra length makes it easy to pull plane. Pushing is harder, but easy with 2 people. On flat cement one person can move plane. However when I travel I always take tow bar and try not to let FBO have to move plane with their movers. Can damage wheel pants. It's secure on nose wheel and folds easy for travel. Also, with slight mod, works very well as control lock. larry b

I will second the Bogie bar. works just fine for a one man operation.

Have a lot of side clearance for the tail when you practice backing up :eek: the long fuse really makes the tail swing a lot with the slightest nose movement.

Congrats.

I carry the Bogie Bar in the luggage compartment at all times. Some of you may remember the nose pant damage I had from the very first FBO that tried to move the airplane. First trip out of the Phase 1 area! :(
At home I use a 12v Powertow that works great. I would have a tough time getting the airplane over the door tracks by myself, otherwise. I use it going in and out of the hangar to avoid pulling and pushing on the prop.

I have a slight incline to get the -10 in the hanger. In the summer I just push it in, but not so much in the winter with ice on the ramp. I clamped a 12v winch to the back hnager wall that has a remote. I use my Boogie bar and hit the remote and the winch pulls the plane is nice & slow over the ice & snow.

Last edited:
Best Glide

Try 80-85 knots (depending on your weight), plus half the headwind or minus half the tail wind. That will get you a bit further than the published best glide.... which is only valid for one weight and no wind.

After you have your landing site made, if you have time to loiter you can slow to your min sink speed. That will give you a little more time aloft to attempt restart or examine your landing field.

Happy gliding -David

Thanks everyone...while we're on the subject..

....it seems to me that the -10's would have a better glide ratio than the smaller Van's models due to the "scale effect", in other words, as a wing gets bigger dimensionally, the lift goes up at an even greater rate.

IIRC, my -6A has around an 11:1 glide ratio...how 'bout the -10?

Thanks,

Aspect Ratio Rocks

There will be a little difference due to the larger scale (Reynold's Number) but most of the advantage comes from the higher aspect ratio. Induced drag is inversely proportional to aspect ratio so a longer wing gets better performance.

The aspect ratio of the RV-10 (6.8) is much better than the RV-6 (4.8). For a fun comparisson, the Airbus A380 has an aspect ratio of 8, the Voyager was 33.8 and the ETA (worlds largest sailplane w/ 101ft span) is 51.33!

I sold my RV-10, but maybe someone on here would like to measure the glide ratio for us? On a smooth day, bring the power to idle, establish best glide speed and see what your rate of decent is. The rate of climb indication is delayed and erratic so it would be better to time a 1,000ft descent and compute the average sink rate. Your airspeed/sink rate is your glide ratio.

If the experiment is repeated at many speeds, a glide polar could be constructed. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_curve_(aviation) for more info) The polar would allow us to figure out the best glide performance for nearly any situation... any weight, headwind/tailwind, rising/sinking air, etc.

Back