What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Countersunk pop rivet tools

SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
I see that countersunk Cherry and Avex rivets have a 120 degree angle. Is it necessary to purchase the 120 degree cutter and dimple dies to use these or will the 100 degree cutters/dies work?

countersinks

120 degree tooling is available, but almost everyone uses the 100 degree tooling when the occasional cherry rivet is used. Vans approves this as well. If you are substituting a large amount of cherrys with the intent on using them throughout the airframe, then it may be wise to invest in the proper 120 degree dies and c'sinks.

Hope this helps...Chris

Thank Chris

This is the information I was looking for. I am reskinning an elevator on an RV-4 and the previous builder had used blind rivets on the last two rivets at the trailing edge end of the ribs as well as to attach the fiberglass tip. I was looking at the 120 degree tooling on Averys web site and wondering if I really needed it. I will carry on using the 100 degree tooling I have.

Clarification!

I see that countersunk Cherry and Avex rivets have a 120 degree angle. Is it necessary to purchase the 120 degree cutter and dimple dies to use these or will the 100 degree cutters/dies work?

Commercial Cherry Rivets may be 120 degrees,

but,

AeroSpace CherryMax that we would typically use are 100 degrees.

Back