What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

countersinking the main wing spars

kritsher

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I'm starting work on my wing kit (7) and I'm getting ready to countersink for the #8 screws that hold the fuel tank on. Before I bite the bullet and start drilling these expensive parts, my question is: it appears that the holes for the nutplates aren't big enough to accept a #8 screw. Do I need to drill them out? or do they get opened up when I countersink? there's no mention of drilling them out in the instructions or on any of the other website/logs I've looked at. I'm getting ready to drill them out, but can someone who has done this confirm that this is the right idea. Also, is a #21 drill the right size to drill out for the #8 screw.
thanks!

countersink main spar

I drilled and countersunk the rivet holes for the nut plates using the nut plate as a guide first then countersunk for the tank skin dimple. that should open the hole up plenty for the screw diameter. If you had to drill it larger ( and you shouldn't have to for countersunk screws) the nut plate has already been set in the proper place. Good luck. :)

21 or 27, but I can't recall now. I opened up the holes and used the #8 countersink.

I used some scrap and experimented. I used a dimpled piece al AL that represented the tank and I tested, using piece of angle stock to represent the spar, different methods. I ended up using a piece of steel under the spar to keep the head of the countersink from hunting. It came out great.

A wise builder to me to experiment with scrap before doing things on the airplane; that's the best advice I've received and I wish I'd remember to use it more often.

Countersinking

Be sure to use a single flute countersink. I used a three flute and one of my holes ended up looking like this :(

20061014-05-tn.jpg

Also, here is a handy little table I made up for common sizes. Hope you find it useful:

20080210-02-tn.jpg

Get the Cleaveland Tools catalog and pull out the chart they provide...I have several of them pinned to the walls of the shop, and I'm always checking and double-checking drill sizes for bolts and screws. Here's an on-line chart courtesy of Dan Checkoway, too...

http://www.rvproject.com/drillsize/

The single hole countersink bits make a beautiful countersink, but be careful...they're "aggressive" and you can easily countersink too deeply (I found this to be more likely to happen on flange "ends", the last hole on a flange where there was inadequate support for the microstop countersink cage). Also, make certain you clear the hole after *each* counterskink, or you run the risk of a sliver of metal making a nice circular gouge around your neat countersink, necessitating clean-up/alodine/etc. That said, I use them just about everywhere....

Hi all,
I'm starting work on my wing kit (7) and I'm getting ready to countersink for the #8 screws that hold the fuel tank on. Before I bite the bullet and start drilling these expensive parts, my question is: it appears that the holes for the nutplates aren't big enough to accept a #8 screw. Do I need to drill them out? or do they get opened up when I countersink? there's no mention of drilling them out in the instructions or on any of the other website/logs I've looked at. I'm getting ready to drill them out, but can someone who has done this confirm that this is the right idea. Also, is a #21 drill the right size to drill out for the #8 screw.
thanks!

Have a look at this thread.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=2740&highlight=countersink

We followed the same procedure as Rudi with great results.

....I'm getting ready to countersink for the #8 screws that hold the fuel tank on. Before I bite the bullet and start drilling these expensive parts, my question is: it appears that the holes for the nutplates aren't big enough to accept a #8 screw.......
I found that simply following Van's written instructions on how to machine countersink for #8 screws produced perfectly acceptable results.

2dvncki.jpg

Last edited:
Dimple

I bought a tool from Avery a while back that is made specifically to dimple the spar web. It is a #8 screw dimple die with a K1100 nut plate for the female die. The tool kit came with the male die, a couple of Allen head screws, an Allen wrench and a few k1100 nut plates. The tool is used on the inboard end of the spar were a normal dimple die will not fit.
001xj7.jpg

002st3.jpg

Do you have pictures of the results? I have the #8 dimples but didn't use them because the instructions specifically warn against dimpling. Countersinking is quick and easy but dimpling is quicker and easier...

Do you have pictures of the results? I have the #8 dimples but didn't use them because the instructions specifically warn against dimpling. Countersinking is quick and easy but dimpling is quicker and easier...

I do not have pictures. At least not one close up. The tanks are on the wings now. From what I remember the dimples look like any other dimple. The spar web is .040 on the RV6. Maybe different on the RV7-8 wing. Also my spar is not anodized. I don't recall the builders manual saying anything about dimpling. Countersinking a hole for a #8 screw in .040 is going to open up the hole a lot larger than a #19 drill bit. I guess it was just personal preference. I believe I riveted the K1100 nut plate to the web and then used the screw dimple die.

...The spar web is .040 on the RV6. Maybe different on the RV7-8 wing. ...I don't recall the builders manual saying anything about dimpling. ...

The -7 wing spar is .063, and the instructions *specifically* say:

Machine countersink (trying to dimple the 0.063 thic spar flange will result in severe distortion) the platenut attach holes in the W-706A spar flange.

Not to criticize, but you should have mentioned that you dimpled the spar for a different model, with possibly different thickness spar flange, in your first post (this is *RV-7/7A* forum). Someone could have taken your advice on their (much thicker) spar and ruined a very expensive part.

Followed Van's instructions

Just another data point about countersinking the spar for the #8 screws that hold the tanks on. I followed Van's instructions about first riveting the platenut on and then using a #30 piloted countersink. Worked great. Even used a three fluted countersink in my Sioux air drill. The more I build, the more I'll have to have a compelling reason to deviate from Van's plans.

Snapshot_20100217.jpg

Back