What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

countersink

Randy777

I'm New Here
I somehow missed ordering a countersink with my Avery tool kit. The RV7 does have countersinking right? So which cutters do I need or should I order the box with 4 different cutters and the countersink cage.

Thanks Randy

4 cutters? I've only ever used 2... 3/32 and 1/8. Having two microstop cages is sure nice though.

+1 on having a microstop cage for each cutter.

Also recommend getting single-flute cutters if you can find them. They chatter much less. If you have to use the standard cutters, I've had the best luck turning them very slowly. I use a cordless drill for these.

Dave

4 cutters? I've only ever used 2... 3/32 and 1/8. Having two microstop cages is sure nice though.

There are some locations that need countersinks for #6 and #8 screws (or to accept skins with dimples for those screws).

I'm so glad I had 5 countersink cutters each with it's own cutter so I didn't have to fool with the depth very often. #8, #6, #30 and two #40. One of the number 40s has one side of the foot cut away for close quarters work. I only paid $2 each (50% off selected tools) at the Boeing surplus store years ago before they closed. Like a lot of tools I bought, they were used when I got them and they were still in used condition when I was done with them. ;)

7 troublefree hours on the RV7A now. :D

Bevan

Back