What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Countersink cage too big for countersinks near flange

Fred's12#524

I'm New Here
I am wondering what others have done regarding countersinking in close proximity to a flange. I have a 1 inch diameter countersink cage but it is too large to countersink some of the rivet holes in the Upper Caps. ATS has an 11/16s diameter cage but I am not convinced that it will work. Thanks.

FM

I don't have a picture to share, but I ground one side of the cage off. Just make sure you keep enough so that you can still hold it flat.

Freehand

If you're careful, do it freehand with the countersink bit without the cage.

You can buy the counter sinks that are designed to be used freehand. They save you time on the thinner parts where you will get chatter if you dont use a backup behind the part you are counter sinking. If you pracitice a few times you will get quite good at getting the depth correct.

Julian 120316

I think...

I think you can also take your countersink bit and screw it into your speed deburring tool if so desired...I wouldn't want to countersink for a #8 screw using this method, but for countersinking for rivets in tight places it'll do fine.

Look on ebay you can find countersinks with are partial cages. That sounds like it should take care of your problem.

I used my regular hole deburring tool (which is really just a pilot-less countersink bit) to handle a couple of countersinks that I couldn't use my microstop on--worked just fine.

If you want to freehand, but need an extension you can pull the countersink apart pretty easy and use the shank. Keep track of how the parts go together.

At my place of work, we call the pilot less cutters, "suicide countersinks", if not carefully used the name is appropriate.
Greg.

Thank you for all of your ideas and support.

Thank you to everyone for your ideas and support. I am now back onto finishing the V-stab and moving on to the rudder. This is a great family to belong to.

FM

Back