What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Counterbalance rib rivets???

GuppyBob

Question...Anyone out there have some recent experience with riveting the E-703 and E-704 elevator counterbalance ribs together?? I've found this to be kind of a pain and was wondering if anyone was using a special squeezer yoke or just bucking those rivets with a gun and bar. Seems tough to get all of the holes aligned perfectly between the two ribs, the counterbalance skin, and the 701 skin itself....maybe not having all of the components pre-punched might help in this instance? my two cents....any advice or tips on how to best rivet these ribs together would be appreciated!!

I just did this a couple of weeks ago and didn't have much trouble. Between my longeron yoke and a 4 inch no hole thinnose yoke eveything went pretty smooth. I did put clecos in every hole when I did the skin and just took out one at a time while riveting.

It was a little bit of a pain getting things lined up and started with the skin but once I got a couple of clecos in place the dimples started nesting and the rest was history.

Probably not much help I realize but thought I would provide my experience FWIW.

Riveting counterbalance ribs

I used my C-frame to rivet those ribs together. I used the C-frame quite a bit on the empennage.

Dennis Glaeser
7A Fuselage

1. Buy a longeron yoke. Now. You will be glad you did later on.
2. While clecoing parts together for riveting, first put rivets in a couple of holes to get everything lined up before putting any clecos in.
Good luck.

GuppyBob said:
maybe not having all of the components pre-punched might help in this instance

Yeah, mine fit like crap too and I suggested this to Vans...seems like a common problem. I also had 2 out of 4 tip ribs come bent incorrectly. The two flanges were about 1/8" different in length. By the time all the clecos were in, it looked like BAD dental work. Common problem, I hear. Really surprising considering that EVERYTHING else in the empennage practically just falls together and fits perfectly.

The longeron yoke will just BARELY sneak through the relief cutout at the front of the rib if you bend the tab out of the way just a smidge.

Back