What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Counterbalance bracket weights

Paris12Man

Well Known Member
Well, here is my first question since I received my Empennage kit....on page 09-10, it calls out to install the R-1014 weights to the arm. Do the narrow ends of the weights go aft? I can't find any mention of this in the plans. Not sure if it matters or not, but since one end of the weight is narrower than the other, it must mean something. Your opinions? Steve

If these are the lead weights for the stabilator counter weight, yes, the big ends go forward, small end aft. The angle is up, so when the stabilator is deflected all the way (so the weights are going down) the weights are parallel to the bottom of the aircraft. This is so there is no interference with the skins.

Make sure you can easily twist the counter weight assembly in the mating hole of the stabilator (by hand) as you need to rotate it 90 degrees after / during the installation. Debur the mating holes real well so you don't scratch up the powder coat. It can be a PITA if it hangs up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I thought the picture called out for the narrow end to be aft but wasn't sure. Thanks for the other info. :)

Flipped the weights around today after doing some measuring and plan checking so thanks for pointing it out.

Currently building a canoe (lower section of the tail cone) in the workshop and it looks good - Rivet gun on standby if I don't go flying tomorrow

R-1014 weights' orientation

Thanks guys. My plans (sent Feb 2011) still do not specify the orientation and, to me, figure 2 is not clear enough to tell.

Tail kit finished and wing kit shipped last week.

-Dave

I did not recall the large and small ends, so had to run out and check. Apparently since I had a 50% chance of getting it correct, I won, had it installed properly.

Back