What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cotton Bowl Airport

krw5927

Well Known Member
Howdy all,

I'd like to fly down to Arlington or nearby for the Cotton Bowl, arriving Jan 5 and leaving Jan 7. Have to fly a skyhawk, as my 9A won't be done for a couple more years :p

I'm looking for any sort of advice on which airport to fly into, hopefully having a cheap place to tie down and somewhere nearby to get a rental car. If anyone would like to meet for a beer and talk RVs that would be even better! Not really that price sensitive on fuel, but I'll need to fill up.

Also looking for the voice of experience on what to expect on my route from Wichita, mostly whether I'll have any luck transitioning DFWs bravo or if I'll have to go around it. All ideas greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

KGKY

Many people sent me messages back around the time we held the Super Bowl here in Arlington (earlier this year), seeing in my signature that I lived here. I'd call it the Ice Bowl, but the WX was another story:) I highly vote for KGKY (Arlington Municipal) which is where I suggested for the folks flying in for the Super Bowl. Some were in jets, twins, and a few were in single engine pistons.

I would recommend the same for you. The FBO here (Harrison) is great, and there is a LOT of tie-down room, rental cars available, hotels GALORE over by the stadium, etc. Everything you could need.

Let me know if I can help further. KGKY is no further than 20-minutes from the stadium, traffic or not. It's your best choice!

Last edited:
KGPM is close.

Might save you a few bucks at the fuel pump.

$4.60 last time I filled up.

Go CATS.

KGKY, KGPM

These are the best choices. You could also consider Spinks (KFWS) or Redbird (KRBD), and maybe Meacham (KFTW), but one of these five should be your choice. Airports on the North side have too many problems with traffic getting from there to Jerryworld. Expect ATC to route you around Class B if they are busy. Skirting around to the West side probably will work better. West side access to Spinks is very easy both on the air and on the ground. I have gone that route many times.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, fellas. The more I look at it, Spinks (FWS) is sounding like a good option. Not too confident on getting cleared through the bravo, the plan will have to be to go around/under. Any thoughts? Long drive from the airport?

Spinks is 30-40 minutes west of KGKY (ie: another 30-40 minutes farther from the stadium). Not too bad, but I'd still vector you to KGKY. Arlington Muni is setup to handle these events, and in all honesty, the airport pretty much shuts down for these big events (to us occupants), EXCEPT for the fact that they are catering to YOU, the inbound traffic. Case in point: I have a hangar there. My dad and I were out there for the Super Bowl, and we were pretty much told we could be at my hangar and nowhere else. The reasoning was that so many million dollar jets were running around everywhere, but most importantly- security. Security was tight to say the least. All of the airport staff was there making sure you, the inbound guest, were completely satisified with operations. Nothing against Grand Prairie or Spinks....I don't have any bias one way or the other. But I can tell you that KGKY knows why you are inbound and goes out of their way to make sure your experience is a good one at their airport. I listened to all the inbound traffic on the radio and it was a class act. Speaking of traffic, I wouldn't let the airspace bother you. Flight following will most likely vector you in from the west, but that's no biggie. It doesn't add much flight time at all, versus a straight in approach. They will be letting the big jets come straight in, but by them maybe sending you west will only add a few minutes. I'm VERY local, so if you need a ride to another rental car place or something, just let me know.

P.S. I can promise you that you'll be tied down in the midst of some of the nicest aircraft you'll ever see. That's kind of cool in itself :)

Last edited:
I've found DFW TRACON to be helpful in getting Class Bravo clearances IF you are going where they want you to go.

Coming in from the north or east, you might get direct DAL at 2000 or 2500, crossing N-S along runway 18-36 (which is never used except for this purpose, it seems), then direct to the old Millennium airport (now IDed as TX18, north end of a lake), then under the Class B to GKY or GPM. Otherwise, they will generally keep you clear of the Bravo, with a few short cuts here and there.

From the west or south, you'll be kept clear of the Bravo for the most part.

Weather is amazing today, but it will go overcast and get some north wind this weekend. Come early :)

TODR

Thanks, all! I'll give GKY a try, pick up flight following, and be flexible about where they send me. Sounds like they're pretty used to VFR traffic coming into the area. Go Cats!

Well, as all plans do, once you think you have them firmed up, they change. Just found out the hotel is in Addison. Any experience with F69?

Last edited:
F69

I flew in there about 18 months ago a few times. Narrow runway(30 feet) in okay condition. Make sure to contact Addison tower within 10 miles and before takeoff because it is in their airspace.

Well, as all plans do, once you think you have them firmed up, they change. Just found out the hotel is in Addison. Any experience with F69?
Yes. I have flown in there several times for weekends. Strip is short-ish and narrow, but it keeps you honest and hone your skills. Last time I was there, they wanted me to use the tie-downs mid-field on the east side. I think tiedowns are $10/night. Gas was not readily available, suggest you not plan on getting any. Watch the displaced threshold on the north and also watch for auto traffic crossing midfield.

Be sure to get ADS ATIS and contact approach as noted on ATIS (typ 124.3 or 124.25 IIRC). Let them and ADS tower know you're landing Airpark and they will sequence you appropriately. ADS tower is not shy about not sequencing you in if its busy and you haven't contacted approach.

And LOTS of good eats in Addison, plus lots of good beverages. Beer nuts should check the flying saucer, just east of the tollway, just south of belt line.

TODR

Latest update: contacted Landmark Aviation at ADS, and was informed that tiedown is $15/night, one night waived with 7gal fuel purchase. Only $1/gallon of fuel price won't be reimbursed because it's a club rental, so really not too bad at all. $22 for 2 nights tiedown and the rental car will be waiting. ADS it is.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Back